Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival Food Tabs

Crotch Rocket

Survival Food Tabs

Has anyone got any experience with these? They claim 15 days food in less than a 2 pound package. It seems interesting to me.

http://www.survivaltabs.com/
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I've had my hands on them in the store. I've been meaning to go buy some to try out.

Seems like it would be a good option to keep in the BOB or a recon/patrol rig to keep the food weight down and save space.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

These have been around since before Y2K. i looked at some then and decided to go the "lifeboat" rations instead for my GHB. I liked them fairly well. That said I think I will pick up a couple bottles of these. I wasn't aware they were still available.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    These have been around since before Y2K. i looked at some then and decided to go the "lifeboat" rations instead for my GHB. I liked them fairly well. That said I think I will pick up a couple bottles of these. I wasn't aware they were still available.
    there's a small surplus shop down in cookeville. They have them on the shelf. Talked to the owner. He said he had been selling them fairly well after the whole "doomsday preppers/ apocalypse/ zombie" fad started.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

I'm actually thinking INCH, in addition to some other meals and the means to hunt, trap, and fish to reduce diet fatigue. 5 of those would be 10 pounds, and last 75 days. Mainstay bars, otoh, which I also happen to like, are 2 pounds for 3 days, so I'd get 1/5th the food at 1/2 the daily caloric intake. I was reading that AT hikers consume 3,000-6,000 calories a day on average, so 1,200 calories definitely isn't going to cut it. This could potentially get me closer.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

MIT, good thinking on the tabs vs bars for a longer term situation. I was thinking more along the lines of 2-5 days in a get home situation.

Izzy's if you don't want to post it, could you PM me the company name in Cookeville. I may need to check that out.

G.I. Depot in Cookeville. They are down by TTU

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gidepot.com/

- - - Updated - - -

really good guys to deal with, BTW

Re: Survival Food Tabs

Very interesting. I have datrex bars but would like to know what anyone thinks of these.

I have eaten the Datrex brand in the past. Taste was not bad, not great, but not bad. Somewhat filling if you drink plenty of water along with it. However the bulk and weight vs nutrition is somewhat low. For something like a GHB, I think they are worth having (maybe 3 days or so). Long term I wouldn't consider them to be worthwhile.

Crotch Rocket

Survival Food Tabs

I haven't tried the datrex bars, most because I'm not much of a coconut fan, but I had the same thoughts with the mainstay bars.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!