Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a simple spear

Crotch Rocket

Just wanted to update real quick. I've left it to dry as I've been out hunting. The author recommended a 6-7' length. Mine is 5'.

The next step will be whittling a point 10-12" long. After that its bury it in loose soil 2" under a fire and let it harden. Pics to follow, I promise.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I make an attempt at spear making yesterday. I have a young Ash tree in the yard and had a low hanging limb that was always in the way when i mow. I took it off with my Machete and roughed the point out with it. Finished up the tip with my pocket knife.

The limb has a little bit of a bow in it and it's less than 6' long, so it's not much. But it did give me a little bit of a opportunity give it a try and did realize that it is a little more time consuming to make the tip correctly. I will give mine a hardening attempt as well to get a feel for the timing involved.

For the Love of Cats

lots of google out there for 'straighten a bent spear shaft'...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Steam it and flex it in the opposite direction of the bend.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Just wanted to update real quick. I've left it to dry as I've been out hunting. The author recommended a 6-7' length. Mine is 5'.

The next step will be whittling a point 10-12" long. After that its bury it in loose soil 2" under a fire and let it harden. Pics to follow, I promise.
    Hi mitr,
    Is spear still burried ?
    been waiting for pics

I am going to take my sons out today and use your post to make them some walking sticks.

Crotch Rocket

Hey metro,

Sorry about the delay. Its sitting unfinished in my car right now - I haven't gotten out to start a fire yet. Tell you what though, I'm long overdue for a night out in the woods and have next weekend off. I can do it then, and meet several goals at once. I'll have the results up the night of Sunday, the 6th. Ok?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

:P no rush, instead of the hike we organized the garage to fit 50 more gallons of water and 25 gallons of gas.
    dug out the bowflex, time to dust it off and retire it from extension wire, shop vac hose and rope hanger.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

That's a cool simple project to keep your handy skills sharp. If you don't have a blade to whittle a point or attach to the shaft, you can use a circuit board from a cell phone or iPod, etc. They're pretty durable and sharp as shit when broken into a point.

I'll most likely shit myself

Now there is an original idea and a good one at that. I may have to play around with some scrap boards and see how that would work.

Crotch Rocket

Making a simple spear

Well, it sure ain't purty, and it did a number on my knife edge, but I did get it prepped for fire hardening tonight.

I figured I can stick it in the ash trap to my wood furnace to get it under a fire since I didn't make it out for an overnighter last Saturday.

And a close up of the point itself. Sorry for the quality. That's the spine of my EDC knife behind it. Its 1/8" thick
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 01-11-2013 at 01:30 AM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!