Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You land nav guys ever use a wrist compass?

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

You land nav guys ever use a wrist compass?

I got this put together....Sunto M-9 and a Zulu Maratac band. Very accurate and quite comfortable.

Don't think it will replace my MilSpec Tritium for shooting locations.....but for basic bearings I think it will work fine.

Total cost was just over $30.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Crotch Rocket

As a matter of fact... Yes, I just added one pretty recently. I glued a button compass to a strap keeper (proper terminology?) and slid it over my watch band
    http://www.shtfready.com/threads/208...ll=1#post46530
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Sweet....any issues with the watch so close?.....how accurate...degree wise?
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Crotch Rocket

I didn't use it for anything more than general direction finding, and I'd pull it down by the plastic buckle when I did that.

It was a good idea I think, but it didn't stand up to hard use on a cross country through the worst available terrain in my area. I lost it somewhere on a ridge or in a ravine.

I'm just happy I had a man-made terrain feature to follow after that. I could have lost an entire day working my way out of there but for that.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I've used the Little Suunto button compass that goes on a watch band. Useful for busting through brush when I want to take frequent beatings but not have my maim compass out where it can get snagged and lost. I found even general direction (N, NW, W, etc) was OK for 15-20 mins at a time. Then pause for a sip of water and check my large compass and map for exact position, heading and landmarks.

For the Love of Cats

Nope! I got some weird electro chemistry in my body. I cannot wear a watch, or it'll stop, or the hands will start spinning randomly. Unless it is a good compass, if I lay it on my wrist, it'll pin down to my arm. When I am out hunting, I have gotten in the habit of putting my compas down on a log or tree stum and stepping a couple feet away to take a bearing.

With many of the cheap compasses (dollar store), according to them... I am magnetic North! lol
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Crotch Rocket

Iron man? Is that you?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

For the Love of Cats

I'm thinking Magneto. lol
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I acquired a USGI pilots wrist compass not too long ago, but I haven't used it.

The wrist compasses are great for a quick reference or if you just need to go in a general direction. I rocked one in Iraq and Afghanistan but always had my lensatic handy