Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timmy Geithner Wants to Eliminate Debt Ceiling?

Timmy Geithner Wants to Eliminate Debt Ceiling?

I read this today.....can someone smarter than me please tell me this is not something to be concerned about....cause in my limited understanding it seems like the exact wrong thing to do, to stave off an economic collapse.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Doubt that I am smarter than you, but it definitely is the wrong way to go. Wish I could lift my personal debt limit to damn infinity. prep hard and fast, folks. Unbelievable.
    Just because we are peaceful does not mean we have forgotten how to be violent.

Premium Member

It is the exact opposite of what should be going on. Raising the debt ceiling is bad enough. Eliminating it would be equivalent to you being allowed to bounce checks all over town and ignore your credit card spending limits. Not good. And we're already printing money at will. Hello inflation! Hello collapse! Stock up quick while your money still works at the store.
    The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Let me be as apolitical as I can about this.

yes...........bad.

am I worried???

1.......yes..........

as much as I ever was...... we continue to spiral downward unchecked

and

2.......no

Geithner is probably out anyway this next term. someone else is going to have to do his dirty work.

For me, well, we passed the bingo point a long time ago. There's no turning back now.

Whether Geithner does it or someone else does, it's happening.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

Izzy, You are exactly right. We are too far down the fiscal road to recover IMO. The only thing that has been going on the last 20-30 years has been to kick the ball down the road. I expect things to keep speeding up and if Giethner gets his way that will be like pouring gas on a fire.

Timmy Geithner Wants to Eliminate Debt Ceiling?

This confirmation there will be no serious attempt to reduce spending. They may in fact try ramping it up even more! This is the thrashing around of the fat man choking on a chicken bone called economic reality.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

No good can come from this.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

This makes zero sense to me.

The financial issue in this country is spending. Pure and simple. It's not "revenue" (a.k.a. my stolen money) it's spending. Raising the debt limit is mostly symbolic however, the end result is our benefactors in DC will then be able to spend unfettered.

It's not a good signal and one that should remind us to adjust any investments we have accordingly, adjust the amount of cash we keep on hand, and prepare for $1,000 loaves of bread.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

prepguide
    This can't and won't end well if it is allowed to take place. You cannot spend your way out of debt, period.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

When I first started as a realtor in 2001, we used to get spam faxes from lenders that advertised 0% down, 110% Loan To Value, no income verification, no documentation, no citizenship requirements, and 3 months out of bankruptcy OK loans... THIS is what caused the real estate market to go tits up, and apparently, the same brainiacs are in control of the economy now. I wish I could say I was hopeful that it won't happen, but I'm not. I also have to say, that it seems like they truly want to ruin the economy, it just seems like the cliff is in sight, the signs say stop, and these guys are pedal to the metal.

I always laugh when Dave Ramsey says, "I never met a millionaire that said my secret to success was using credit cards"
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.