Quote Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
Well, I think I may be a minority (as if I wasn't already), but if you live there, it isn't a BOL. It might be the homestead and a way to get away from things happening now. But if certain things happen, you will have to leave the place and go to a true bug out location. What might drive one out varies widely with the specifics of the home, but there will be things that will run you out.

So my thoughts on a BOL are that it should be somewhere well away from the homestead, preferably several of them in different directions. But they need not be another homestead or castle. Just a series of caches that contain what is needed to get by for several days, weeks, or even months until residency can be resumed at the homestead, or in the worst case, a new start is made somewhere else. My ideal BOL is a concrete block (or ICF w/CMU facing) 'hunting cabin' on privately owned land near or in a state or national forest. With thicker concrete walls and roof, a right angle entry and the building can be quite a good fallout shelter.

Constructed properly, the cabin can be nearly vandal and fire proof, with only bolted down steel furnishings (bunks w/o matresses, a table and benches, perhaps a counter top). All the necessities would be cached nearby. That can include a steel door that is removed and cached so the inclination by others to stay in it is reduced significantly. Also, with a hidden pipe leading from inside the cabin to a concealed point that can be used to blow smoke (or other irritants) inside to run squatters out, can make taking it back from unathorized use easier.

Things like a well or other water source and a septic system can be installed but not hooked up, with the rest of the components cached can make it more livable, without making it an ideal place for squatters.

Just my minority opinion.
You know what Jerry, your correct. I actually live in my BIL...BUG IN LOCATION....

Jimmy