Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Bag Philosphy

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Bug Out Bag Philosphy

I'm going through a major change in philosphy on BOB's and wanted to run it past the group to see if I'm super awesome or completely screwed up.

Hopefully this will spur further conversation on the topic.

So here goes....

My first BOB's were set up as long-term sustainment bags. I was going to live off the land, fight zombies and go all Wolverine. Clearly I got my head out of my ass on that game plan.

The second attempt was more aimed at having bags that would take some of the misery out of miserable but were still heavily rooted in the bizarre foundation of TEOTHWAWKI scenarios.

This is what I've come up with:

Basic premise: You can never "live off the land" with what you can carry on your back, therefore, build BOB's around more realistic scenarios. Have your heavy sustainment supplies, that could be used both short and long term (for those pesky zombie attacks), staged at static locations.

In other words, for our geographic area, our BOB's should be oriented around hurricane evacuations, leaving in a hurry because of forest fires/chemical spills, etc. These are shorter term events and should be geared more for survival than "fighting". I might even ditch the backpack's all together and go to plastic tubs to increase what can be transported.

Heavy supplies, like food to outlast the effects of major weather events, or ammo for fighting off the North Koreans, should be statically staged at the house and other locations.

Maybe this is an even more clear way of saying it: your kit for pure survival should be for survival, while your kit for fighting should be solely for fighting. Trying to have one setup that can help you deal with your house burning down AND going all Freedom Fighter isn't as effective.

So for us, I'm thinking:

* A couple "grab and go" kits for dashing out the door. These can be in backpacks, plastic tubs, gymbags, etc, but whatever the container they are just supplies for living.

* Fighting rigs strictly set up for fighting

* Heavy items like food water, generators, etc all pre-staged in the garage. The items will be stored in easy to transport containers appropriate to the item (in backpacks, plastic Jerry cans, plastic tubs, whatever). This means they are easy to access for SHTF events where we are in the house, and can be easily transported should we need to leave.

So the BOB's won't have scads of ammo, short swords, and legacy seeds. They'll have clean underwear, first aid kit, important documents, weather radios, paper maps, water filters, etc. Probably going to add more common tools, water filters, etc.

So the fighting rig won't have diaper cream and MRE's. I figure if things have gone haywire to the point I'm donning a rig and an AR, I want the most effective fighting setup I can have.

Since the idea that we're going to disappear into the hills, live off the land and fight the UN troops is the stuff of novels (now there's an idea....) specialized gear is making more sense to me now than pretending I'm going to load up the family truckster and never return.

Thoughts?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Seems to be spot on. I came to the same conclusion about 6 months ago. I have a full combat rig, a GHB , and an 96 kit for each of my loved ones. Since my location currently precludes Bugging out, all my major supplies are at home. I plan on seeing the "golden hoarde"assing by my location withing 72 hrs of a major SHTF event, so I'm hunkering down and riding it out.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Here is my three cents....A "bob" for survival is just that. I hike/camp alot and I have everything I need to go out for however long I want (tent, cooking utensils, basic clothing, upgraded med kit, sleep system-you get the idea) now granted I would run out off food/ammo the longer I'm out but the basics are there. I think if your bugging in then the sky is the limit on gear/supplies. If you are bugging out then you have to know your intentions. You might take a hand saw rather than a fullsize axe...etc, etc.

I do agree about stashing your needed gear in prime locations. I don't even think I would carry all my cash/pms' or sensitive paperwork. (IMO) I would also bury the extra gear before I would leave it with someone else that I trust not to use/take, I wouldn't want to find it or them gone later when I need it. So, In my opinion....I will try to stick with one pack each family memeber if I have to roll out.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

I think you're on rock solid ground with this approach. I was thinking along these same lines again today, since I'm continually tweaking my own loads to reduce weight and bulk.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

The source of all known trouble in the universe

You're definitly on the right track. BO stands for bug-out, not survive all type of situations. Like I mentioned many times, mine is a 3-day survival only that I must be able to carry fast.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I've been using bags for a number of years for various things: flyfishing bag, hunting bag etc. For camping I have my goods in wooden boxes (I got in this habit when I was buckskinning one weekend a month and everything needed to be period correct). A lot of things are in containers pre-positioned in my horse trailer. All these are what I consider my INCH supplies. For me a bugout bag must be light enough for me to carry comfortably. As my name implies I ain't as young as I used to be, therefore my bob philosophy has been for me to go lighter, have the dogs carry more, and have my retreat AO pre-stocked. Although in any bugout from where I am, the horses will have to come to, so.....what I really have in my truck is a GHB and I'm only 2 miles from work.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    so.....what I really have in my truck is a GHB and I'm only 2 miles from work.
    And if there is a bridge within these 2 miles that collapsed, this return home could be longer. No matter the distance, you are right, a GHB is necessary. To me, though, GHB and BOB are the one and same bag.

I'll most likely shit myself

Lots of good ideas along with the OP.

I look at things somewhat like Lunchbox. We keep our big backpacks loaded with gear we would need for a multi week bacpacking trip, with food for 10 days. Our main BOB's are mostly along those lines. We each have a bag that would stay with us no matter what. Other things will change, depending on the scenario and are layed out or being worked on for easy retreival. Seems like that is always being worked on.

Fighting gear is needed and available, but in my mind that is more of a defensive set up. No way the wife I and will do much more than that.

Much more thought to be given this one.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

I've got a molle vest that is centered around waking up in the middle of the night, so it has flashlight, fire extinguisher(yes a smoke detector might be going off), important documents, yes a pistol holster as well. It also has a pouch with important documents and an umbrella in a grenade pouch (it might be raining if I have to leave), it has car keys, a bottle of water, etc. Its geared up on a sudden wakeup where I don't know why. (it has a machete, multitool, and gas shut off wrench too, don't forget the gas shut off wrench!)

I also have a full combat setup, and another geared around survival in the woods.

There just isn't one setup that will do everything. I don't want front, rear, and side SAPI plates trying to survive in the woods in 100 degree texas heat, I also don't need SAPI plates if the house is on fire. However, I sure as hell don't want a fire extinguisher if the UN blue helmets need fighting off. You have to be adaptable.

The point about long term survival is spot on, you can't carry the food for even a few months on foot, so you need to stash is, have multiple locations, etc.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I think we all agree that food stashing if possible is a must....

But I think having 2, 3 or even 4 different bags is overkill. This of course is my humble opinion. I feel a small bag if you have to roll out is not geared enough to do the right job. I understand that you only expect to be gone for a couple days but what happens if it turns into a longer run. I would guess that a small bob would/could weigh around 20-30 lbs. I would add another 10 lbs to that and be more prepared.

Tent, poncho, liner, food, water, mat/pad, few loose items, med gear, you get the idea. Think about the things you would put in the smaller B.O.B. and see if its worth it to you.

I also run a vest/carrier with combat related items that I don't consider when I am on the go. Its weight but its a weight that I would not give up.
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 06-14-2011 at 02:45 AM.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.