Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOBs for kids?

BOBs for kids?

Hi all,

Im trying to find some backpacks for my kids. I dont really want to use a Thomas the train or Disney type bag. Has anyone seen any smaller sized bobs anywhere? Planning to stuff them with a change of clothes, snacks and some toys for them.

I'll most likely shit myself

How old, big are they? Here are a couple models that might work depending on the age and size.

http://www.rei.com/product/796743/os...t-daypack-kids

http://www.rei.com/product/808324/re...g-12-pack-kids

I bought my 7 year old a back pack from Lands End. She uses it every day for school and Girl Scouts, and it still looks new. It feels like it is good quality. The one I have doesn't have the waist belt, which I really wanted, but it does have a sternum strap.

Re: BOBs for kids?

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    How old, big are they? Here are a couple models that might work depending on the age and size.

http://www.rei.com/product/796743/os...t-daypack-kids

http://www.rei.com/product/808324/re...g-12-pack-kids
    Hey backpacker Ty for the links.

I forgot about rei. Wife doesn't like the prices there lol.

I have to keep telling my wife "cheap=no good, no good=cheap"
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

Re: BOBs for kids?

My kids are young, 3 and 5.5.
    Im going to start some fun hikes with them soon with buried surprises at the end destination.. I've got to teach myself the compass and map reading / orienteering first.
    I wonder if geocaching is any fun??

But them carrying their own water, socks, snacks and misc gear etc will really help me lots because ill be dealing with demon pup lol.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

I'll most likely shit myself

I have a buddy that loves geocaching. He says its good to help learn gps nav. With the little trinkets and stuff it would most likely be fun for the kids as well. For me though, i dont count a huge amount o gps. That could go away way too easy. Heavy cover, heavy cloud cover, dead batteries, unit failure, or sat failure and it done. IMO map and compass is much more reliable. I do pretty good with that but would love to get some real training with it.

With the packs look for something adjustable for the suspension if you can find it. That will give you more use for a longer period of time. Cheap is certainly not good. The two I linked for you appear to be good packs. The Osprey brand I knpw is. My wife has a 25 liter model and loves it. .

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Depends on how much you are looking to spend Metro.........

I have a friend that makes custom gear. He made my girls pint size assault packs for Christmas. Pics after they unwrap them.........
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Might try Maxpedition. They make some smaller bags that might be utilized as kid-packs.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Depends on how much you are looking to spend Metro.........

I have a friend that makes custom gear. He made my girls pint size assault packs for Christmas. Pics after they unwrap them.........
    Cant wait to see them

Im ready to spend 30-40 but methinks wife is in 10-20 range lol.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Metrocruiser View Post
    Cant wait to see them

Im ready to spend 30-40 but methinks wife is in 10-20 range lol.
    I'll post them up. What we basically did was take the design from a standard Eagle A-III Assault pack:

http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle-AIII-Ass...-p/eag.552.htm

We then reduced the size by 1/3 and added water bottle holders to the sides. They will fit the Camelback type sports bottles or no-spill sippy cups.

We Made the back panel out of breathable padded mesh instead of straight cordura, so it would breath obviously.

My guy then specially designed the waist belt so it could adjust and expand as they grew. The excess can be neatly hidden/ tucked away for now.

Lastly, he had their names embroidered into the back, to give it a personal touch.

As they are only 3 right now, the pack is a tad big, but give them another 6 months to year and they will grow right into it. They should be able to wear it on into their early teen years or even farther as a small day pack.

He makes bomb-proof gear, so the price I paid for it was well worth the backpacks they would have otherwise went through.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.