Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BOBs for kids?

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Metrocruiser View Post
    Cant wait to see them

Im ready to spend 30-40 but methinks wife is in 10-20 range lol.
    I'll post them up. What we basically did was take the design from a standard Eagle A-III Assault pack:

http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle-AIII-Ass...-p/eag.552.htm

We then reduced the size by 1/3 and added water bottle holders to the sides. They will fit the Camelback type sports bottles or no-spill sippy cups.

We Made the back panel out of breathable padded mesh instead of straight cordura, so it would breath obviously.

My guy then specially designed the waist belt so it could adjust and expand as they grew. The excess can be neatly hidden/ tucked away for now.

Lastly, he had their names embroidered into the back, to give it a personal touch.

As they are only 3 right now, the pack is a tad big, but give them another 6 months to year and they will grow right into it. They should be able to wear it on into their early teen years or even farther as a small day pack.

He makes bomb-proof gear, so the price I paid for it was well worth the backpacks they would have otherwise went through.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Where's the epi?

Geocaching is a lot of fun. We took my son, niece and nephew (all were teens) and even we had a good time. You can look up your area and chose your route so you can do one in a park, near a lake or where ever it fits the age group of your children. It would teach them patience, situational awareness, how to think outside of the box (they are hidden in weird places), hiking skills just to name a few things. Pack a lunch and enjoy the day. They will be good and tired and ready for bed when you get home.
    I apologize for nothing...

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Smaller day packs can often work, depending on their ages and size.
    When they're young you can only expect them to carry so much.
    My idea was mainly that they could carry their clothing, some toiletries, a personal mess kit and water. If somehow they got separated, while they were too young to cook, if someone else cooked, they could eat, change clothes, see to their own hygiene.
    Of course, they're much older now than when I planned this.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

My kids are young, 3 and 5.5.
    Large ALICE

But them carrying their own water, socks, snacks and misc gear etc will really help me lots because ill be dealing with demon pup lol.
    It sounds like a simple school backpack will do the job for you, but there are some other options some of which have been mentioned, Maxpedition, Osprey...

If you're willing to spend a little money on something that won't get outgrown or destroyed immediately, check out Camelbak. I own a few of their products and have been satisfied with them. I even dragged one (MULE) across a rocky trail with my dumb ass still attached to it (falling off my mountain bike) and inflicted no damage to the pack. No tears or rips, etc.

Most of their stuff is compact, lightweight, and comfortable, but limited in cargo capacity. Most packs will have enough room for the basics for a kid's pack though: change of clothes, trail snacks, map, compass, a multitool, a small first aid kit, toothbrush, etc. In my experience, the built in hydration is key for young kids to keep them moving and focused on the trail, as opposed to stopping every so often for water breaks and getting distracted.

Camelbak has a military section too, in case it has to be camo.

GunnerMax
    Battlelakeoutdoors.com has a good variety of optios, made in america, and good quality.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Cant wait to see them

Here you go, Metro:

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

^^^ It's a good thing they take after their Mom Izzy! Those 2 are getting cuter by the day. Your gonna have your hands full in about 10 years. Good looking packs, maybe you should market them.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Crotch Rocket

You were right. The sternum strap is awesome. I may have to modify my own pack now.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Wow nice,

I like the size of the packs, the kids can mule some equipment for me

Beautiful children you have!!

Thanks for posting.

I'll most likely shit myself

Nice looking packs. Awesome looking girls.