Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BOB tip from the River Rat

Bacon saver

Ooooooh, you're a bubble buster! Calculatus eliminatus! Yes I am a diver as well, got my first basic scuba back in 76 but I'm not going to sit here and blow bubbles with you because you are correct Sniper. You have way to much time on your hands in the Great White North to do the math for this thread that's for sure. Must have alot of snow on the ground, eh?

But it is cool that one can do this if one has their head screwed on straight when they hit the water. Most people have a panic attack and drown of course.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Well shoot after I have packed, tried it, repacked, tried it again and then many more repacks, my
    pack floats quite nicely...

Just took my pack each time and went to the creek and tossed her in. That was the bulk of my testing. Sinks, fails. Floats, passes...

Finally passed...

Jimmy

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, stuff was dry too....

Jimmy

For the Love of Cats

Haven't been called that in a long time - rofl (bubble buster)

I spent more than a few years calculating buoyancy of everything from wooden timbers (how much weight is needed to sink them), to how much air (lift bags) it would take to recover a D9 or a grader or a fuel truck, without launching them like rockets from the deep.

We have about 19 inches of snow right now, and it is supposed to continue snowing until thursday, so we'll have close to 2 feet by then I would think.
    (assuming the weather people are correct)
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 12-19-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Premium Member
    that's why i like'd being a grunt not alot of math.

jimmy that is my approach at testing as well...

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Haven't been called that in a long time - rofl (bubble buster)

I spent moe than a few years calculating buoyancy of everything from wooden timbers (how much weight is needed to sink them), to how much air (lift bags) it would take to recover a D9 or a grader or a fuel truck, without launching them like rockets from the deep.

We have about 19 inches of snow right now, and it is supposed to continue snowing until thursday, so we'll have close to 2 feet by then I would think.
    (assuming the weather people are correct)
    Salvage diver? Hmmmm? Nope, never had to do that much detail dive work, spent alot of time underground, caves and such. Had to save a few CO's careers and unfoul a few screws (propellers) on a ship or two do to some shitty ship handling. But other than that wrecks reefs and selective fishin.

Sounds like you're going to have a lovely Christmas.

Bacon Spam

what type or brand of bags are you guys using for non food stuffs, are they any thicker or abrasion resistant ??

Do you have a robot?
    Too much math for me. I always found if I threw something in the water and it floated then that was buoyant. If it sank then it wasn't, that's my math. I love my seal-a-meal too it works great. I have found that when you are sealing clothes there is some give as opposed to sealing a hard object. Then again for my pack it is more for the short term. If you want something more abrasion resistant you might consider a dry bag. http://www.rei.com/search?query=dry+bag

Premium Member
    brownwater i work with a guy that was a cb, spent alot of time underwater...

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by rentprop1 View Post
    what type or brand of bags are you guys using for non food stuffs, are they any thicker or abrasion resistant ??
    I'm just using the regular "FoodSaver" bags in the green box. They're pretty durable, but pack your goods carefully so there are no sharp edges that could poke holes in the bags.

The Vacuum sealer I use is a Weston pro-2300 it crushes beer cans...........but I don't use it for recycling. It's the shit man. Well worth the investment!

http://www.amazon.com/Weston-65-0201...eston+pro+2300

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by greg48 View Post
    brownwater i work with a guy that was a cb, spent alot of time underwater...
    Navy's a small world, might have known him.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Too much math for me. I always found if I threw something in the water and it floated then that was buoyant. If it sank then it wasn't, that's my math. I love my seal-a-meal too it works great. I have found that when you are sealing clothes there is some give as opposed to sealing a hard object. Then again for my pack it is more for the short term. If you want something more abrasion resistant you might consider a dry bag. http://www.rei.com/search?query=dry+bag
    I do seal hard objects like I bundle a douche kit, first aid kit/gear, batteries, and a fire starter kit and then vacuum seal each one. These then all get packed in my BOB's and then thrown in the vehicles. They could sit there for a year or more, I just wouldn't want them in a dry bag getting moisture to them ya know? Same with the clothes.