Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Post SHTF communication alternatives

I'll most likely shit myself

I know packet type comms can be used on the UHF band. Since Gmrs is just above the UHF ham band, (GMRS 460MHZ, HAM 440 MHZ) if you can work out the connections I see no reason it wouldn't work. You will need a TNC (Terminal Node Controller) to transfer the digital data to the radio transmission and to take it back on the receive end.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoSapien View Post
    I to am a ham, and iv been kicking around the idea of packet (like 2m ham) that can be used with a GMRS radio. Dont know if it can be done, but would be good for local comm. and for those that dont have a ham lic.
    It is, shall I say, frowned upon as the GMRS IS a LICENSED radio service. you fill out the papers and get a license type thing and is not meant for data, There are land mobile frequencies, also a licensed service that will allow data. but basic 300-2400 baud packet can be done on literally an radio capable of FM operation. even the cheap frs rigs will do it. ofcourse if we are talking about when anarchy hits the rules wont matter any more...