Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post SHTF communication alternatives

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Post SHTF communication alternatives

so other than radio's (hams, CB's, etc) what other forms of comms can you guys think of to support us post SHTF. I was giving this some thought the other day and again yesterday with all of the "facebook uprisings" here lately. What are some alternatives to radio and phone commo that could prove useful?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Flags ? U.S. Navy Signal Flags

Sorry, I had to.

lol
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

Comms is kinda my thing (ham for years). But Without a radio, I would be in deep Sh_t. I probably do need to learn some quick and easy hand signals.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Feeling a bit like a dolt here.

Read your post, rared back to unleash a lengthy and prolific tirade.......and then realized I got nutthing.

That ain't good.

Hummm....you raise a very interesting subject.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

+1 Stig, exactly where I ended up. I have given this serious thought and the only thing I came up with not using electronics was a flag system, hand signals, both only useful for short ranges but can be effective it they are known and agreed on in advance. Long range what do you do, smoke signals?

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

"There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Something to consider for certain things for sure. I would imagine it's very slow and cumbersome.

i wish there was something to send short bursts of data package.....or then again maybe ther is. just looking for something other than the obvious.

Crotch Rocket

This may fall under you phone designation, but I've kicked around the idea of wiring in field phones once I have the property for it, since it would be an offgrid alternative to conventional phone systems.

There's another system we use at work called the bell telephone. A simple numeric code designates which employee the caller needs to speak with. The system could be adapted to pass messages that way as well, and could be even be relayed from one church to the next with a large enough network, much like the ancient system of signal fires.

hand written communication is a dying art it seems, but a trusted courier could pass messages over long distance this way.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!