Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dream House

Premium Member

Seems to me exposed hinges on those shutter are a weak point as far as a forced entry situation. Damn big hinges though!
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Actually, the structure itself may not be as expensive as you think. If it was formed and and the concrete placed monolithically (no cold joints) it could well be done cheaper than a stick frame construction. There looks to be about 500 cubic yards in the entire house, pool and garage. At contractor pricing here in the PRK (ready mix prices are in the toilet) 500 yards at $75/yd make the materials cost $37500 for concrete, probably an additional $7500 for rebar properly spaced, and about $50000 for labor, you have the rough structure for less than $100K. You'd have to act as your own general contractor and you'd have to do your own tenant finish (plumbing, wiring, flooring, trim , fixtures, etc) which would add probably another $100K-$150K. This project could probably be completed for less than $300K. All we need now are the plans and front money.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

I'll most likely shit myself

Super nice! I want an underground home, but I think I could be convinced to go with that. The roll up doors and concrete shutters are fantastic. I would be a little concerned with the shutters protection factor. A car or something could ram thru that. The lap pool is very nice and a good source of exercise.
    Weather sure would affect you if you don't build it in New Orleans.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

O wnder what the radiation PF is on that sucker... the walls look to be about 1-2 feet thick.. looks real nice though...

It's be a damn site better than stick built for sure. Not what you'd with an underground and concrete, but not bad. If it has a basement, and I bet it does, it would have a great PF.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

I would be concerned that a house like this would be a huge target. People would wonder what you are hiding behind those walls. I would prefer to stay under the radar and blend in with everyone else as much as possible.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

The source of all known trouble in the universe

As long as they cannot get in. Plus, I would not build this in or near a city.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vertstang86 View Post
    O wnder what the radiation PF is on that sucker... the walls look to be about 1-2 feet thick.. looks real nice though...
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    It's be a damn site better than stick built for sure. Not what you'd with an underground and concrete, but not bad. If it has a basement, and I bet it does, it would have a great PF.
    PF?
    I saw this house before. It may withstand zombies but, not an angry mob IMO. (Again, the roll shutter) But hey, it's worlds better than my house. I sure hope the power doesn't go out or, hope you have a heckuva backup gennie. Those window slabs look awfully heavy.

Protection factor. It is a measure of how much reduction from a given amount of radiation a particular substance, concrete in this instance, would offer. I'll search around and see if I can locate some info and hopefully a link on the subject. Probably be later tonight or tomorrow.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I think this place is a <come and get me posterchild> it looks like it just advertises that you have something you don't want to give up.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.