Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have not been camping in a long time, I dont know how to pack food

Have not been camping in a long time, I dont know how to pack food

Happy new years to everyone!!

The last time I went camping was in the 90's
    number one beverage was beer, never brought any water with me ever. sad.
    food I brought was ........... I cant even remember

Now its a whole different story and I am trying to learn how to do it all the right way so I can be a good example for my sons and teach them well.

My 1st Q on this topic is based on my next planned hike where I will bring the alcohol stove along with us.

How do you pack up your coffee, fuel, stove etc. I was thinking to stuff it all into a tupperware or something similar.
    Being that it will be just an afternoon hike, I am going to bring some canned ravioli and cambles soup for the kids. What do you bring out to eat on a short day hike?

Would love to hear and see pics if available of what you would pack for a small excursion.

Thanks

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    camping has been a long lost memory for me, unless you count the number of days i slept in the truck waiting on first light to go fishing.

as far as day hikes go. simple enough, it's just me. a salad,tuna and crackers,fruit,plenty of water,dried fruit/nuts,a couple granola bars and a Power Bar and/or a Protein Bar or 2. i haven't felt the need to cook yet. most things i carry are light,full of energy. everything fits in a Maxped Jumbo Versipack.

i can 'camp cook' in the backyard and never leave. there i just build a fire, set up a couple blocks and a steel grate to cook over. hotdogs,sausage,burgers,pork tenderloin,steaks and taters. have even been known to roast some veggies. YUM!

EDIT: about carrying water. i have a 32 oz bottle for my bag. then i carry smaller plastic water 16 oz bottles inside the main pocket. they fold flat when empty and i refill them when i get home.
    Last edited by robsdak; 01-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

For the Love of Cats

snack foods, trail mix, granola bars, jerky, fruit. Skip the tupperware, as they are bulky, use ziplocks. Since it is only a day trip you donèt need much, just try to have more calories to consume than you expect to eat. You know your location, heat and humidity will determine the amount of water needed, along with the difficulty of the hike. Get the kids their own packs, split up the load so they can carry some stuff too. small water bottles pack better than large ones, and collapse to nothing to pack out.

You are better off to stop every hour or two for a snack... then to push on all day, and have a big meal.

Take a camera and a local flora fauna book. use the snack breaks to identify some local plants.

Also take a map and compass, and get them involved with plottingéplanning the trip.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

I agree with using snacks/trail food for day hikes. We take raw veggies, dried fruit, jerky, cheese, meat stick, etc. I carry a small esbit stove and a stainless cup if I take a bag of freeze dried stuff with us.

I always carry 2 qts of liquid (water/gateraid) and the wife carries 1.5 qts. plus water purification tabs if we need more.

I would also suggest having a small light for each person, just in case. Having the kids at least carry some of their own food/water/clothing will give them a much greater sense of ownership and give them something to do as well.

thanks for the replies guys, my kids are finicky eaters, I keep telling my wife to stop force feeding them. Lets try tiring them out with outdoor activities that are healthy and a learning experience for all of us. Then you will see them asking to eat sooner rather than later. They will be happily scarfing the foods you all recommended when I take them out lol.

We are planning to start buying the camping gear gradually.....its damned expensive for the quality stuff.
    Honestly I want to start playing with the gear I manage to get out in the field asap. I have been reading about all this gear and equipment that we can buy, not knowing how to use it all if/when the time comes when outr lives depend on it would be a bad experience.

I will post a review of the cold steel 2 handed katana and the maxpedition fatboy versipack shortly.

Walking on Sunshine

Metro
    Check out garage/estate sales. I picked up two Coleman lanterns this last year, practically brand new and pretty cheap Sadly due to owner passing and his adult kids didn't want the stuff. Guy ahead of me got a pretty decent stove and mess kits

^^^ Yup, hit up craigslist, goodwill, garage sales, estate sales, etc.

Re: Have not been camping in a long time, I dont know how to pack food

Yes!!!
    That's a good one. I was on cl for a few hours the other day looking for tents. I never thought to look for all those other things that I had not thought about it yet. Lol I need a master list. Right now I'm looking for GSI cooking ware.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

For the Love of Cats

the key is to make the kids active participants, rather than just drag alongs. they will learn more, and have more fun. Get them involved with the planning, the route, the rest stops, the activities, etc.

Watch the garage sales in the better neighbourhoods around home too. they tend to have quality stuff that they either upgrade regularly, or 'tire of' and sell off for the latest fads.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by Metrocruiser View Post
    Happy new years to everyone!!

The last time I went camping was in the 90's
    number one beverage was beer, never brought any water with me ever. sad.
    food I brought was ........... I cant even remember

Now its a whole different story and I am trying to learn how to do it all the right way so I can be a good example for my sons and teach them well.

My 1st Q on this topic is based on my next planned hike where I will bring the alcohol stove along with us.

How do you pack up your coffee, fuel, stove etc. I was thinking to stuff it all into a tupperware or something similar.
    Being that it will be just an afternoon hike, I am going to bring some canned ravioli and cambles soup for the kids. What do you bring out to eat on a short day hike?

Would love to hear and see pics if available of what you would pack for a small excursion.

Thanks
    Oh how this take my back to the day when my kids were young. I agree on the all of the thread replies and will add... My son and I have our favo hot camping/day fishing/hiking meal that we always do that started way back when. It's a big ole cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and crispy hard rolls to eat it with warmed from in the can in hot coals with the lid punchered then evolved to the self priming white gas Svea stove . Do your day field test with your alcohol stove and a can of Ravioli, chop some wood and make fire with your son and the memories will last a life time for you both
    Coffee goes in zip-loc bag and how you cook it is endless.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.