Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first ever experience with a Straight Razor

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Evo and Stormy, i want to be left in the will "if" you have a mishap while using a Straight Razor.

RP1, buddy sounds like you need to 'use' a better class of hooker. those dime store one's are tough.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I saw your post a few daze ago but didnt have time to reply....

I tried a straight razor in the past, got pretty good at it. My personal advice is: Forget everything that safety razors taught you about shaving! The angle, pressure and speed are nothing like what a Shick et all are alike, and if you have not already learned, a straight razor has a personality all it's own. The trick is going slow and listen to what it is telling you.

So, with that said.... I have abandoned the straight razor for an old school safety razor. The biggest reason is the demand in time... A straight razor cannot be rushed or you will bleed, and it takes a lot of concentration and developed skill to get good at.

What I am currently using:

Lord safety razor, cheap on Ebay
    http://www.amazon.com/Double-LORD-Ch.../dp/B001VD7VIY

Of all the blades Ive tried the BEST ones are the ones I get at Dollar General
    http://www.dollargeneral.com/product...uctId=11895936
    5 blades for a buck

Not only have I saved a TON of money on blades, but the overall *QUALITY* of my have is 1,000% *better* than Ive ever gotten with the high dollar "5 blade heads" for name brands.

Now this brings me to my safety razor tip o' da day: Forget everything you know about shaving with a straight razor. HA HA. An old school safety razor has a personality all it's own. It will take a little while to learn it, but once you do you will NOT cut yourself and you WILL get one of the best shaves of your life and it will take very LITTLE time to do it!

It is so natural to me now, I can shave in record time. But starting out, not so much.

In closing, if you like the baby's butt close shave, but you went a little too long between shaves... I have found that shaving TWICE will accomplish the desired outcome. The first shave is the shortening shave, and you go with the grain. The next shave is the close as glass shave, against the grain.

If you go AGAINST the grain with stubble, your in for a night mare...

Good luck, & hope that helps!
    EB

For the Love of Cats

I got into a straight razor kick back in high school. Shaved with it regularly for a couple years. Not really sure why, just cause I could I guess.

Did I cut myself? Hell yeah, especially in the beginning. Later on... not so much.

why'd I quit? too much time. I prefer to dedicate a good solid 4 minutes every other week to buzzing my face with clippers, and then scraping a blade... 15 or 20 minutes a day... not so much!

If you really want to get adventurous... try shaving your head with one!

*stock up on band aids first!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    I saw your post a few daze ago but didnt have time to reply....

I tried a straight razor in the past, got pretty good at it. My personal advice is: Forget everything that safety razors taught you about shaving! The angle, pressure and speed are nothing like what a Shick et all are alike, and if you have not already learned, a straight razor has a personality all it's own. The trick is going slow and listen to what it is telling you.

So, with that said.... I have abandoned the straight razor for an old school safety razor. The biggest reason is the demand in time... A straight razor cannot be rushed or you will bleed, and it takes a lot of concentration and developed skill to get good at.

What I am currently using:

Lord safety razor, cheap on Ebay
    http://www.amazon.com/Double-LORD-Ch.../dp/B001VD7VIY

Of all the blades Ive tried the BEST ones are the ones I get at Dollar General
    http://www.dollargeneral.com/product...uctId=11895936
    5 blades for a buck

Not only have I saved a TON of money on blades, but the overall *QUALITY* of my have is 1,000% *better* than Ive ever gotten with the high dollar "5 blade heads" for name brands.

Now this brings me to my safety razor tip o' da day: Forget everything you know about shaving with a straight razor. HA HA. An old school safety razor has a personality all it's own. It will take a little while to learn it, but once you do you will NOT cut yourself and you WILL get one of the best shaves of your life and it will take very LITTLE time to do it!

It is so natural to me now, I can shave in record time. But starting out, not so much.

In closing, if you like the baby's butt close shave, but you went a little too long between shaves... I have found that shaving TWICE will accomplish the desired outcome. The first shave is the shortening shave, and you go with the grain. The next shave is the close as glass shave, against the grain.

If you go AGAINST the grain with stubble, your in for a night mare...

Good luck, & hope that helps!
    EB
    Do you know a good way to sharpen your safety razor blade's? If so... start a new thread about safety razors so we don't get off the straight razor topic.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.