Thread: June Bug Out Exercise - Reviews and Observations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crotch Rocket

It was around this point I realized I was starving, so I took a meal break. I know the seasoned hands here have seen them before, but I'll showcase this one for the uninititated. The price is equivalent to a MH entree in my area, but the variety is far superior.

If you like M&M's, the grilled chicken breast meal has them. You'll just have to take my word for it since I ate them too fast to show them

It was after this meal I made use of my e-tool to dig a cathole. I didn't even bother taking pictures of that, but if anyone can tell me how to avoid mosquito bites to those rarely exposed regions I'd be most obliged. Worst one of the day!

After all that business was finished I got down to some comparison testing. I started with my esbit fuel tabs, moved to testing saws while everything cooled, and then did the trioxane tabs. I mixed up a grape koolaid electrolyte mix somewhere in there too.

If anyone isn't familiar with them, electrolytes are normally well regulated by our bodies, but are depleted during periods of heavy exertion and sweat. The hospital has a mix I became acquainted with after an experience with tainted water. This tasted much better. I knew I was seriously dehydrated by this point, so it was a good choice. I keep MRE accessories like this in a baggie for meal supplements and snacks. That definitely worked to my favor. But, back to the fuel testing.

The esbit fuel, then the trioxane:

The esbit tab burned for a total of 6 minutes, as opposed to the trioxanes 4 minutes. Neither came to a full boil, but both had bubbles breaking at the end of their burn. The esbit did slightly better here, which I'm sure is directly attributable to its longer burn time. I didn't cook anything with it, but it still worked out since I can drink warmer water much faster than cold. I just let it cool for a few before chugging it down.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 06-06-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!