Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duece and a half?

Crotch Rocket

Perhaps someone here can help me along a little rabbit trail I'm following at the moment re: tires and wheels. From what I'm reading, they come stock with 20" rims and 37" tires. I'm also seeing this can be done on a Jeep Wrangler (which is what I'd like to replace my daily driver with). I'm way out of my lane on this one, but compatibility between the two seems like a good idea to me. However, I see that deuce enthusiasts recommend a larger rim and tire, and Jeep enthusiasts don't recommend going as large as a 20" rim unless running a 40" tire...

This has me wondering a few things. First, would a 20"/ 40" compromise work for both, would I be able to keep a Wrangler street legal like this, and what is it that I don't know I don't know?

Any help would be great, thanks.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Those wheels and tires would be waaay too heavy for a stock wrangler drivetrain to handle. Brakes would be overwhelmed, gas mileage would go way down, and it would ride like a log-wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Perhaps someone here can help me along a little rabbit trail I'm following at the moment re: tires and wheels. From what I'm reading, they come stock with 20" rims and 37" tires. I'm also seeing this can be done on a Jeep Wrangler (which is what I'd like to replace my daily driver with). I'm way out of my lane on this one, but compatibility between the two seems like a good idea to me. However, I see that deuce enthusiasts recommend a larger rim and tire, and Jeep enthusiasts don't recommend going as large as a 20" rim unless running a 40" tire...

This has me wondering a few things. First, would a 20"/ 40" compromise work for both, would I be able to keep a Wrangler street legal like this, and what is it that I don't know I don't know?

Any help would be great, thanks.
    Your first hurdle is the bolt pattern. Next up is backspacing. Deuce rims are dished & while I don't know the backspacing specs off hand, I don't see how it would work even with some gigantic spacers/adapters.

THAT SAID, I have seen a dude put deuce axles under a JK Wrangler. It was a monster with the full width axles but the owner claimed it was streetable.

I'll see if I can dig up a link.
    Last edited by FL-Jeeper; 02-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.

I'm having trouble finding the particular monster but I did find this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwgm...e_gdata_player

Rockwell axles are popular upgrades for the more extreme folks.

Found it!!! http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...-jk-build.html

$$$$$$$$$

For the Love of Cats

That's an awesome build! I love Exo-skeletons!!! Would be real easy to set up some plates for armour.

I don't know about where you are, but that would NOT be street legal here. Tires can only stick out 4" beyond the side of the vehicle without requiring flared fenders to cover them
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 02-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    That's an awesome build! I love Exo-skeletons!!! Would be real easy to set up some plates for armour.

I don't know about where you are, but that would NOT be street legal here. Tires can only stick out 4" beyond the side of the vehicle without requiring flared fenders to cover them
    Yeah, & I notice he trailers the rig too. Another concern would be the legality of the full hydraulic steering setup. I know in some states these systems are not street legal. Down here in FL you can run pretty much anything as long as it has turn signals & headlights.

Crotch Rocket

Well then! lol...

It seemed like a good idea last night. The little academic knowledge I do have on the topic had me surmising a new drive train and brakes would have to be part of the package, and I saw mention of the deuce axles under a Wrangler.

I believe I'll have to let this idea go

Btw, thanks for the links on this. I'll have to look later since they're both likely to cause my dial up to fail
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!