Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duece and a half?

Duece and a half?

I didn't see much come up by way of a search, so excuse me if this has been hashed out before, but why do I see so little love for the military 2 1/2 ton truck as a SHTF vehicle? We used them extensively on the farm when I was younger, and they are still widely available as surplus at what seems to be a pretty good price. 6-wheel drive, usually with an excellent winch already part of the package, multi-fuel capable in many versions, and tough as nails.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

We have one at the retreat.....very tough vehicles.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    I hate you.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    That is us to some extent. Not at the retreat per se, but at our initial staging point should bugout be necessary. Just was wondering why it seems so many people put so much into other vehicles that aren't nearly as likely to provide the service one of those things will, and why so few mention them when discussing transport.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I want a bobbed duce for a daily driver... call me stupid, but I still want one.

EB

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Just was wondering why it seems so many people put so much into other vehicles that aren't nearly as likely to provide the service one of those things will, and why so few mention them when discussing transport.
    Because MOST people think they are a maintenance nightmare, and MOST people think that repair parts are a pain with all the different makes and models, and MOST folks dont know about how to go about getting repair parts for one.

I want one. Really, really bad.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I didn't see much come up by way of a search, so excuse me if this has been hashed out before, but why do I see so little love for the military 2 1/2 ton truck as a SHTF vehicle? We used them extensively on the farm when I was younger, and they are still widely available as surplus at what seems to be a pretty good price. 6-wheel drive, usually with an excellent winch already part of the package, multi-fuel capable in many versions, and tough as nails.
    I feel that a deuce is a total meltdown scenario vehicle. They are loud and slow. Useable only if you can defend it, and is obviously a target if not.

That said, it's probably the best at what it does (offroad transport), and it will pull or haul just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    I want a bobbed duce for a daily driver... call me stupid, but I still want one.

EB
    Check out Hundy.

I'll most likely shit myself

I to would like to have one of these. If the plans work out long term, one of these will have a spot on my place.

I know of a place on my way to work that has three or four of them setting around, along with some trailers. I need to check and see if they are for sale, how much, what condition.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I know the ones I had in the army where always needing something done. Seems the where broke more than running. Now the 5 tons seemed to always work.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Ived drooled over $100's page many times...

EB