Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Milk?

Got Milk?

I'm looking at moving toward powdered milk, both for regular use as well as long-term storage. But this is one food subject I have absolutely no knowledge of. What I've found on the 'net is often confusing and at times downright contradictory. Any advice/input/preferences??

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We always keep some on hand in case we run out of milk. Mainly we use it for cooking. Anything specific you wanting to know?
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I've run across lots of conflicting info regarding things like taste, longevity, ease of use, etc. Previously I've used the irradiated and sealed liquid stuff, which is great stuff but it is only good for about a year in storage.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We use the carnation in a bag. It has a expiration date of a year, but I am sure it is good for a lot longer than that. I have not tried drinking it, but have cooked with it and have not noticed a different taste.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

A bit of Jello instant pudding...vanilla...goes a long way to improving the taste and "viscosity" on the tongue.

We use it all the time for cooking also...

A few good brands out there....biggest thing to look for is mixing ratios....some mix ratios are better than others.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    My personal fav is Nestle Nido... Its a *wonderful* powdered milk! Taste almost just like moo cow milk, unlike non fat dry milk that taste something between chalk and ass.

Most grocers are storing it in the Mexican section, along with other Mexican food... Dont ask me, I dont have the answer...

Ive fixed it up and drank it straight, was quite pleased... Ive also used it as a 100% milk substitute for COOKING and have also been very pleased!

One thing I do is take a pouch of mix, Bisquick and Nido (in proper proportions), all I need to do is add water and I have pancakes, or biscuits, or whatever... on the trail, that taste JUST like it was in the kitchen!

I need to do a video on it...

HTH,
    EB
    Last edited by ElevenBravo; 01-27-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Taste almost just like moo cow milk, unlike non fat dry milk that taste something between chalk and ass.
    Now that's the kind of info a guy can use<G>! Stay away from milk that tastes like chalk, ass, or any combination of the two.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Now that's the kind of info a guy can use<G>! Stay away from milk that tastes like chalk, ass, or any combination of the two.

Yes, you are right... This is teh stuff... chalk or ass or chalk and ass milk.

:-)

EB

Where's the epi?

Great info. I have always hated powdered milk or eggs. NASTY. Guess that's why I don't have either in storage.
    I apologize for nothing...

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

You can really dress up the powdered eggs....I've made a big mess of powdered eggs....with mountain house chili....powdered sour cream...and freeze dried cheese.....yum...
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.