Thread: Homebrew FAK

Homebrew FAK

Back a few years ago I found a need for a rugged FAK for our small (ish) crew while out in the woods camping or trail riding, staffing Jeep type events, family gatherings, etc. Not being a fan of the uber $$$ prefab kits available out there, I wanted something more uncommon and suited to my activities. This FAK is easily thrown in the trailer, tossed on the floorboard and is relatively easy to recognize.

I sourced a water-tight mil-surplus container~ if memory serves it is an Australian piece, and I had a red vinyl decal custom made.

The box has a handle that I wrapped with para-cord, four locking latches and an aluminum tray insert. Here you can see smaller items are organized in small "snack size" plastic bags and are sorted by item type. Gastro-intestinal meds are in one bag, OTC pain meds in another, ointments and creams in another, etc, etc, etc.

I have tried to incorporate all of the most common contents of standard FAK's as well as a few items I find important. Everything was either sourced from local retail outlets or procured from my personal collection of what-not.

Quite a bit fits into this small container. It is approx 11"x11"x3".

- - - Updated - - -

It has been heavily used both around the house and at my clubs various Jeep adventures and it has taken a beating. I have no clue how much $ is wrapped up in it but it is not much and has been built up steadily over time.
    Last edited by FL-Jeeper; 02-03-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Additional views of top & bottom contents.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Nice set up....well done.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

I'll most likely shit myself

Looks like a well stocked kit. Well suited to its needs.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Looks like a well stocked kit. Well suited to its needs.
    Thanks, it is. There's a little bit of everything in there. Medical tweezers, tick puller, signal mirror, chapstick, footwarmers, snake bite kit, smelling salts & more. The single most used item? The bottle of liquid children's allergy. Adults just take a healthy swig.

Being outside & away from civilization, this one item has come in handy time & time again.