Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medics a question for you

Where's the epi?

No epi?? Now that's just terrible!
    I apologize for nothing...

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchmedic View Post
    Ever evolving. I've only been in emergency medicine for two years, but when I came in to it, if you told me "one day Epi may be obsolete in cardiac arrest I would have called you crazy.

I was taught trauma gets a backboard, c-collar and head blocks.

Now my company ( mainly my shop) will be one of the first in the nation to remove epi from the cardiac arrest algorithm and using backboards for moving only.
    I know the basis on why boards are being removed, however I still believe they have their place in certain situations...

Why is epi being removed from the cardiac algorithm?
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    I know the basis on why boards are being removed, however I still believe they have their place in certain situations...

Why is epi being removed from the cardiac algorithm?
    There is no evidence of effectiveness to discharge. You probably havent heard the term "epi induced rythm" yet. Epi is good at ROSC but with a half life of about 2 minutes it doesn't last. Im sure if they havent already your employer will be focusing more on effective CPR.

I work for the big bad private company so we are consistently at the forefront of practicing evidence based medicine.

Google "Calloway epi study" for more info.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchmedic View Post
    There is no evidence of effectiveness to discharge. You probably havent heard the term "epi induced rythm" yet. Epi is good at ROSC but with a half life of about 2 minutes it doesn't last. Im sure if they havent already your employer will be focusing more on effective CPR.

I work for the big bad private company so we are consistently at the forefront of practicing evidence based medicine.

Google "Calloway epi study" for more info.
    ah... Thanks for the info, I'll be reading up on this for sure!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.