Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lessons I have learned recently

For the Love of Cats

lol. you got lime in your veins?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon Spam

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    QA/QC Manager for a Ready Mix concrete company.

remember to always put the water in the mixer first...lol

I somewhat agree to your OP....for a while the wife and I were working a couple hours away from our home on a contract basis for a few years and ended up getting a local apartment, I did enjoy the minimalist life style, but hated needing something and it was back at the house

the whole 1 year thing doesn't work, you just end up buying stuff you already owned ...perfect example i used to do some minor renovating on houses and had all the stuff needed to tile a bathroom...tile saw, and cutters, tub wrenches, trowels, spacers...I got rid of it about 4 years after we finished our house during one of those if you haven't used it in a year freak outs while cleaning in the garage, last year the showed developed a leak and I had to buy everything all over again, I know you prioritized tools, but if I kept a lot of one use tools I would need a 40 x 40 building
    Last edited by rentprop1; 02-23-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    lol. you got lime in your veins?
    Yeah, pretty much. I got into specializing in concrete based on lunch. At the time I decided to leave engineering geology behind, I sat on the asphalt producers association technical committee and on the ready mix concrete association technical committee. Both served lunch at the committee meetings; the asphly guys always had cold cuts, whereas the concrete guys always had a hot lunch with salad and desert. My reasoning for choosing concrete over asphalt was the concrete industry treated you better and I've been right so far.

Quote Originally Posted by rentprop1 View Post
    remember to always put the water in the mixer first...lol

I somewhat agree to your OP....for a while the wife and I were working a couple hours away from our home on a contract basis for a few years and ended up getting a local apartment, I did enjoy the minimalist life style, but hated needing something and it was back at the house

the whole 1 year thing doesn't work, you just end up buying stuff you already owned ...perfect example i used to do some minor renovating on houses and had all the stuff needed to tile a bathroom...tile saw, and cutters, tub wrenches, trowels, spacers...I got rid of it about 4 years after we finished our house during one of those if you haven't used it in a year freak outs while cleaning in the garage, last year the showed developed a leak and I had to buy everything all over again, I know you prioritized tools, but if I kept a lot of one use tools I would need a 40 x 40 building
    Gotta have the headwater because that's where the air entraining admix goes,lol.

As with anything, a person has to decide what works for them. I couldn't take it all as I had a long way to go and a finite budget to accomplish the move with. (Never end a sentence with a preposition so I'm not going to) So I used the 1 year timeline on the items that didn't make the need to have list. I have a breechplug wrench for my muzzleloaders that I've used twice in 10 years but it was in the need to have category.

I also had about 35 pieces of cast ironware, including 4 dutch ovens. Most of it didn't make the cut, just my favorite 10 pieces. The rest went to folks I know that either didn't have any, or in one case to a friend who lost his in a divorce. What I was trying to convey was my decision making process when confronted with this task. I liken it to the pioneers' choices they had to make when taking the Oregon or California trails.

YMMV.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Bacon Spam

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    I liken it to the pioneers' choices they had to make when taking the Oregon or California trails.

YMMV.
    In hindsight I think a lot of them had wished they took a lot more of their friends for protection

I worked the rock and sand delivery industry for years, some of the big companies in FL here were our daily bread and butter, did everything from supervise the haul in the rock and sand at the plant level, some tires, gyp, bauxite and ash to the powder production side and then hauled rock back out of the quarries and then washout back to a crushing facility

^^^^^Yep! We supply the raw materials of civilization.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Kudos to you you Curmudgeon you! Your now in a free state and what it took to get there was just sacrificial, now your living lean so the rebuilding will be like an Artist starting with a blank canvas so... Paint away my friend!
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Update: 46 days here and I'm still unpacking. But finding something I thought I'd had to leave is like Christmas, only better. I'm still on a scavenger hunt for my solar/crank radio, but I I've found several knives that I thought I lost some time back.

Also, after moving, when you work every day it's hard to get a head of steam up to unpack at night.

I also miss the time I get to spend here. I'll be back later today to post some more. I've got to go do some more work now.

Quo Vadis?

I'll most likely shit myself

Glad to hear your making headway. It takes time, but you get to put stuff where you want it now to make it easy on you later.

Glad to see you back, we been missin you.