Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food grade buckets

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Food grade buckets

I need some help with my memory. While at Home depot the other day in the paint section I noticed that they had white buckets for sale. Now, when I examined them there was a number 2 in the triangle above the HDPE letters on the bottom. Doesn't the 2 signify food grade? TIA, Grumpy
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

HDPE, or "High Density PolyEthylene" is not necessarily food grade, but it can be. The '2' in the triangle is the recycling symbol, not necessarily refering to whether it is food grade.

Some good info here: http://www.ehow.com/way_5819448_do-t...-plastic_.html

If it doesn't say food grade, then you can still use them, but will want the mylar bags.
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 02-16-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: my 'd' key sucks!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    HDPE, or "High Density PolyEthylene" is not necessarily food grade, but it can be. The '2' in the triangle is the recycling symbol, not necessarily refering to whether it is food grade.

Some good info here: http://www.ehow.com/way_5819448_do-t...-plastic_.html

If it doesn't say food grade, then you can still use them, but will want the mylar bags.

you are correct about the re-cycle triangled #2 not meaning "food grade" ....

but ..... you always need a food grade bucket .... the mylar bag IS NOT a liner and it doesn't eliminate contamination of harmful chems ..... there is much more at work than just simply a physical contact between food and the bucket ....

Where's the epi?

Hey Grumps, go to WalMart deli and see if they will give you their buckets that their pre made food comes in. I think they just throw them away and a lot of them will give them to you for free.
    I apologize for nothing...

Yup, I agree with Lady, I get my buckets (and lids) for FREE from Sams Club. Sure, half the time they are still sticky on the inside (frosting buckets, usually, from the bakery), but they wash out easily, and happen to be my favorite price.

I also always use mylar, with o2 absorbers, inside the bucket. On top of the sealed mylar bag I leave a recipe card with exactly what is in that bucket, usually its a cut in half card, half inside the bucket, half taped to the outside of the bucket. It's a tricky, high-tech system .
    "Treason to tyranny is fidelity to liberty."

Bacon Spam

if you have a Firehouse subs near you they sell 5 gal pickle buckets with lids for $ 2 and the money goes to help volunteer firefighters

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I'll have to check more closely next time I'm there. I'll also have to talk to the folks at the Wal Mart next time I'm there. But, this is a very small town in ranching country, so they may already be spoken for.

I found out how small Saturday when I took my first paycheck to open an account and the only bank lobby open was BoA, with whom I won't do business. I went to 5 different banks and 1 credit union and all were closed except for drive thru. I laughed about that for 5 minutes. I love his small town livng.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Where's the epi?

Then I guess you'll love the fact that your post office probably takes 1 1/2 hour lunch break and closes every day too! Ours does.
    I apologize for nothing...

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    If you go to chinamart, and go to the paint/hardware section, get the white paint buckets.
    They are food grade.
    Someone over at survivalblog wrote down the phone# for the company that is molded into the bottom, and called them to ask.
    Their response was that the white ones, as well as the natural colored ones, were food grade, while the other colors were not.
    They're about $2 each, and are brand new.
    They have lids as well, but they're aren't rubber gaskets in them. Haven't found a source for those yet.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I've seen all manner of buckets at Ace Mart restaurant supply in the past. Most of mine are freebies from the kroger bakery, a little old lady we know works there and saves me some when I need them. I really hate cleaning them, but theyre free.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.