Thread: All about Foraging for Food

A laugh a minute

All about Foraging for Food

How many of you forages for the wild foods that are out there? Now is the time to start looking for the food that nature has to offer. For the past 2 yrs I have been learning what my neck of the woods has to offer and every year on our property I find something new. But one of the things I have found that I don't have is Chicory. I have dug it up from the road side and tried planting it in each season, but it always dies. So I guess I will have to plant it this year. Here I will post all about foraging for food and everything related except the pics of the plants since we have them elsewhere on here. Please add to this as well. I have a notebook that AI keep handy, that I write down everything I find on my property and where I found it. I also take a picture of it to keep it on my computer in a file marked my wild foods. I have a book called "Edible Wild Plants and Useful Herbs" that I use as a field guide.

It is full of color pictures and very user friendly. I bought 2 of them, 1 for the house and the other for the field. Here are some links that can help you.

http://foraging.com/
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...#axzz2OC00LCZu
    http://www.ediblewildfood.com/

There is a lot of stuff on those to keep you busy and when you find something that you want to use, copy and paste it on
    word or Office and print it out. I have a notebook with plastic sleeves and label dividers where I put my printouts. I have 1 on foraging, 1 on medical, 1 on herb medicine, 1 on homemade recipes (like bath soap, toothpaste) stuff like that.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

A laugh a minute
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

I'll most likely shit myself

Great post Taz! I put those last few on my wishlist and the links got bookmarked.

This is one area I fully intend on making some progress on this year.

A laugh a minute
    I am going to the book store to check out those books tomorrow. I like books with a lot of pictures in them so I can see what it really looks like. I'll let ya know what I find out.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

For the Love of Cats

great books. I'm planning to do some guerilla gardening this year with some perennial stuff. hopefully some stuff takes, and I can set myself up for future years
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Be very careful with the shrooms.
    Just because we are peaceful does not mean we have forgotten how to be violent.

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    How many of you forages for the wild foods that are out there? Now is the time to start looking for the food that nature has to offer. For the past 2 yrs I have been learning what my neck of the woods has to offer and every year on our property I find something new. But one of the things I have found that I don't have is Chicory. I have dug it up from the road side and tried planting it in each season, but it always dies. So I guess I will have to plant it this year. Here I will post all about foraging for food and everything related except the pics of the plants since we have them elsewhere on here. Please add to this as well. I have a notebook that AI keep handy, that I write down everything I find on my property and where I found it. I also take a picture of it to keep it on my computer in a file marked my wild foods. I have a book called "Edible Wild Plants and Useful Herbs" that I use as a field guide.

It is full of color pictures and very user friendly. I bought 2 of them, 1 for the house and the other for the field. Here are some links that can help you.

There is a lot of stuff on those to keep you busy and when you find something that you want to use, copy and paste it on
    word or Office and print it out. I have a notebook with plastic sleeves and label dividers where I put my printouts. I have 1 on foraging, 1 on medical, 1 on herb medicine, 1 on homemade recipes (like bath soap, toothpaste) stuff like that.
    I was sorting some stuff in our storage over the weekend and found I had already picked this book up. After flippin thru it kinda quick, I found a boat load of information in it. Now to get out and put it to use.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by piranha2 View Post
    Be very careful with the shrooms.
    When I moved down here I wanted to find a local to go mushroom hunting with, as I am only comfortable identifying morels, puffballs and chicken of the woods. So, I went online and found a link to a mycological society in Austin. So I went to their site and they were all about thecubensis mushrooms. I did find the Texas Wild Mushroom group, also in Austin, that was more my speed. But that really hit me as funny Piranha. Thanks.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Crotch Rocket

I haven't yet. Last Wednesday didn't pan out, which was a good thing considering I ended up working a double. I'm more than ready though. Its way past time to get out of the house and doing some things.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!