Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Job Skills That Could be Useful

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Perhaps we should get a list going for good post shtf job skills. I haven't seen on on here yet atleast.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    Looks like post shtf, it's going to be too many warriors and not enough farmers. it's going to be bloody.
    I agree.
    I can't seem to get anything to grow to save my life. I guess I'll just have to protect the farmers.....or whore myself out for my daily serving of veggies.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

Prior service Army, but its been over a decade since I've used the skill sets particular to that training. I do know it wouldn't take me long to become proficient again with the right manuals and equipment on hand.

I've also run the gamut of private sector security options. In the past I've worked armored car and done armed patrols of my area homes and businesses through alarm response and contracts. I worked on a team for the armored car, but my patrol work was solo, and at night. Those jobs helped me develop better SA. I've worked at businesses closing their doors, beer tents/ bars/ a hotel, and a teen club. I got tons of face time with disgruntled employees, belligerent drunks, guests whose room was overbooked (ever seen that done to a newlyweds suite? It gets ugly) and pissy kids. Looking back, I'm amazed I've never once been held up, jumped, or involved in any physical fight. I know I developed some effective communication skills for talking to all of them, but there was obviously a good bit of luck or divine intervention in there as well. Now I sit in an isolated location, up to 96 hours per week at one point. Happily, not anymore. I'm ready for a change.

Back in the day I was certified for small engine repair. Its a perishable skill, but again, with the right manuals and tools I could regain some proficiency there.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Currently I'm the General Manager of a concrete block plant. I still keep my professional geologist registration and have worked on numerous dam and other engineering geology projects. As my undergrad and grad degrees are in geochemistry, I have a reasonable skill level of finding and extracting metals from ores using old methods. Probably my most useful skills come from my hobbies of fly fishing, my horses and buckskinning (pre-1840 fur trade re-enactment). I can tan leather using several methods, I've made black powder that actually works in my muzzleloaders, I have the equipment to sew leather and cloth, including a Singer treadle sewing machine, I garden, make mead and hard cider, can vegetables and meat and I'm a reasonably good hunter. My trapping skills need honing but I am already pretty good at setting small game snares. Drawbacks are I smoke and chew and (I really hate owning up to this) I'm pushing 60 real hard; I've had a number of broken bones from the horses over the years, and my eyesight is not what it once was. In a tribal situation I'd probably be one of the elders passing on skills to the young. I can, however still hit what I aim out out to about 500 yds. Beyond that it's iffy.
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 06-17-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Sounds similar to what I do. Well used to. I'm still in the same department, just doing some different stuff now.
    Used to work for a company that made detectors, got sold to Canberra and shut down my department.
    Life goes on.
    Tennelec?

Staff

I guess i"m more in line w/ Alphatea and bacpacker...
    I started out life as an NBC officer in the 9th I.D. finishing/retiring 21 yrs later as a Battalion Commander w/ HQ Bn 502,101st.
    I am currently employed as a senior Nuclear Chemist/Physicist at the Turkey point nuclear plant in Florida.
    I am a licensed gunsmith and teach NRA rifle,pistol,shotgun and tactical law enforcement, tactical emergency medicine,BLS ( to include AED) with a company I co- with another combat vet friend.
    I love to fish/hunt with my kids,we camp every fall and have a small garden at home.
    My lovely wife of 20yrs is a BSN RN and helps us out when we have the 'couples' firearms classes.(priceless)
    Did I mention I have lots of resources...
    It's only a wuss caliber until I shoot you with it!

I'll most likely shit myself

Alpha, exactly right, Spent 10 years there as a maintenace tech on their Ion Implanter which was older than dirt when I started. I was able to allow them to drop their maintenace contract with the manufacture, Varian. I also worked in the germanium test lab and did a lot of the QC process. After canberra bought them I had to move into the germainium growing lab. I was mainly working with chemicals, which I knew nothing about and didn't really care for. Just didn't fit my skill set.

This is a very good thread, it's interesting to me seeing a little about folks backgrounds.

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by gunbuilder69 View Post
    My lovely wife of 20yrs is a BSN RN and helps us out when we have the 'couples' firearms classes.(priceless)
    Can you link your site again for me please? I had it bookmarked before my computer crashed. I am desperately in need of 3 things: Training, a vacation, and integrating my fiancee in the first process.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Alpha, exactly right, Spent 10 years there as a maintenace tech on their Ion Implanter which was older than dirt when I started. I was able to allow them to drop their maintenace contract with the manufacture, Varian. I also worked in the germanium test lab and did a lot of the QC process. After canberra bought them I had to move into the germainium growing lab. I was mainly working with chemicals, which I knew nothing about and didn't really care for. Just didn't fit my skill set.

This is a very good thread, it's interesting to me seeing a little about folks backgrounds.
    I never met them but I did spend a lot of time on the phone with Wes, Lee and Kay and Craig at Tennelec...

I'll most likely shit myself

Lee and kay are good friends of mine. Worked with wes a little. Craig don't sound familiar to me. Some good people.