Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Language skills.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'll most likely shit myself

I will have to remember that. I could se that being very handy.

Just 2 or 3 mice or squirrels will do the job....don't ask

Spanish, a little german, a little french and a little italian.
    I become more fluent when I am red faced pissed...

Crotch Rocket

I know enough to ask people in French or Spanish if they speak English, and I never got that far in the Korean language. With that I only know enough to use the honorific for an older man and woman while respectfully asking them to move away from me, or telling them to get the fuck away from me.

I've been tossing around the idea of buying Rosetta Stone for learning Spanish at work.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

For the Love of Cats

I was pretty fluent in Greek when I first moved back from there, but 20 years later, I can hardly order in a resteraunt.
    I have a smattering of French, German, and Spanish, but mostly just enough to insult someone, an/or make an ass of myself.

A couple days ago I stopped for a car in the ditch. Was a German neighbour of mine's wife... who spoke no english. But with a little patience, we were able to make ourselves understood enough, that I pulled her out of the ditch, without a problem, explain a problem with her car (bent tie-rod), and send her on her way (and me too)

I've been in many situations (mostly good), where a little patience and a lot of sign language and pointing can get the meaning across.

Back in University, I dated a girl who spoke 9 languages. That was really cool!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I have some spanish, i understand more than I can easily speak, as I don't think in spanish. And I'm fixin to become fluent in Texan.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

I can order whisky or women in about a dozen languages, but other than that, nada. Spanish was a second language when I was young and it comes back to me fairly quickly when I work with it regularly, but otherwise it is very slow going.

Walking on Sunshine

English, passable French, enough to make me understandable, some German from when I was little. Used to be able to understand Armenian, thanks to grandmother who lived next door to us but I don't think I'd be able to understand it now.
    Can say please and thank you in a couple of other languages but that's about it

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I speak fluent frontier gibberish and swearing.

Sadly, that's about it. I know some German words.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Cervesa, por favor?
    Just because we are peaceful does not mean we have forgotten how to be violent.

English, Spanish (more or less a job requirement), German (stationed there 3 years), Hebrew, a little Latin and Greek, some french, Portuguese, Dari, Pushto, Arabic, Farsi. Oh, and I can swear pretty well in Russian.

My wife and I try and learn Finnish, but it i tough. It's called a heavenly language since it will take a eternity to learn to speak it well.