Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Language skills.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Language skills.

Does anyone speak another language (leaning towards spanish here) or are you planning to learn. We have some soft cover books here at work labeled "Survival Spanish" that I have been looking for certain phrases in. We get quit a few individuals that speak spanish (and nothing else) in the field of work I am in. Has anyone else thought about this issue?
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I speak 2 1/2 languages. English and French fluently, Spanish read (understood).

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    English is actually my 3rd language, As for languages I do speak, Tagalog, English, and White Mountain Apache. Since Tagalog is very close to Spanish, I do pretty good there as well. Im heading to Monterey California later this year to learn another language courtesy of the military, this isnt my first trip there if that means anything.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I speak Arabic, Pashto, Dari, Farsi, and German.

None of which I find useful.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

I have a hell of a time speaking English! I can get by reading a little German and can understand less spoken. Can't speak it for crap. Nothing else.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I speak Texan and some English. I know a little survival and construction Spanish, but the only words in Spanish I find to be critical are manos arriba! (Sp?) which is hands up!
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I'll most likely shit myself

I will have to remember that. I could se that being very handy.

Just 2 or 3 mice or squirrels will do the job....don't ask

Spanish, a little german, a little french and a little italian.
    I become more fluent when I am red faced pissed...

Crotch Rocket

I know enough to ask people in French or Spanish if they speak English, and I never got that far in the Korean language. With that I only know enough to use the honorific for an older man and woman while respectfully asking them to move away from me, or telling them to get the fuck away from me.

I've been tossing around the idea of buying Rosetta Stone for learning Spanish at work.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

For the Love of Cats

I was pretty fluent in Greek when I first moved back from there, but 20 years later, I can hardly order in a resteraunt.
    I have a smattering of French, German, and Spanish, but mostly just enough to insult someone, an/or make an ass of myself.

A couple days ago I stopped for a car in the ditch. Was a German neighbour of mine's wife... who spoke no english. But with a little patience, we were able to make ourselves understood enough, that I pulled her out of the ditch, without a problem, explain a problem with her car (bent tie-rod), and send her on her way (and me too)

I've been in many situations (mostly good), where a little patience and a lot of sign language and pointing can get the meaning across.

Back in University, I dated a girl who spoke 9 languages. That was really cool!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.