Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
I am looking to purchase around $5,000-$10,000 physical silver, not from some company who only gives you a piece of paper and about the same in gold, but I don't have the slightest idea of where to start. I am wondering about agent commissions, fees for this, fees for that, fees for paying fees. Where do I go to, and what do I buy. Should I buy coins, bars, 'scrap silver', etc. Anyone have any advice?
apmex.com always treated me right for small purchases. I bet for the amount you've given, if you call them directly you'd get personal attention and can work out a bulk purchase deal.

I'm not a big fan of coins. For those you have to consider the value of the silver content and any additional value from the rarity of the coin. I have no interest in deciphering that an 1894 Indian booger nickle is worth far more than the 1896 version.

At one time Apmex offered silver rounds that appeared to be the old buffalo nickle but were not monetary, just silver. Bars worked too. I didn't see too much difference between the two in terms of function. I did limit total size to 1oz because "making change" for silver is kinda tough post hurricane.

Hope this helps.