Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celox for burns

Do you have a robot?

Celox for burns

Has anyone used Celox for burns? Thanks ahead of time.

I'll most likely shit myself

Good question. I have started seeing it around different places and wondered about it.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Celox us a hemostatic clotting agent. It is meant to be used for the control of severe bleeding. Putting it on a burn doesn't make sense.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Celox us a hemostatic clotting agent. It is meant to be used for the control of severe bleeding. Putting it on a burn doesn't make sense.
    this... Celox would have no effect on the burn itself... third degree burn with massive tissue damage and lots of bleeding? eh... maybe... But I would still attempt other methods of bleeding control first.
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

In his experience the hammer head is better

I have to agree with Twitchy and Izzy. Its made for heavily bleeding wounds, even then I would use it last resort post shtf. I cant dig up any use for it with burns.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Do you have a robot?
    Guys it is now used for burns too. Since it will soak up fluid, you pour saline on it and then put it on the wound. It will absorb up to 320 ml of saline or 430 ml of water. It is now multi purpose but I have not heard how it is working out in the field yet.

http://www.sammedical.com/celox_trauma_gauze.html

I'm still leery of putting anything other than conventional treatment on a burn. You soak up fluid with a burn dressing, which then sticks to the patient, or you pour celox granules on a burn, which then stick to the patient after "clotting". Either way, something sticks. I just dont see the benefit.

From personal experience, the docs HATE trying to clean all those granules from a wound.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

I may be mistaken on what I have been seeing in stores. It's just a small packet. I haven't picked one up and took a look.

In his experience the hammer head is better

I understand using it to soak up the fluid discharged from a burn. However the treatment of burns involves constantly changing dressing, cleaning and debrieding the wound. A very horrible painful process to go through. Dressing can get stuck and have to be removed.

Also the fluid shift caused by burns is only a real worry if they are major burns ofer a large surface area. I can see the theory where it will seal the would and prevent any more fluid loss.

Pouring Celox on it will soak up the fluid but become very stubbornly lodged in the wound. PreSHTF I say last resort but go for it if you feel the need. Post SHTF I would not due to the lack of advanced care. As a matter of fact Celox or quick clot is my absolute last resort due to what needs to be cleaned out. Unless its the gauze that's inpregnated with the stuff, much easier to clean out.

With burns I personally do this:
    -Stop the burning process.
    -Remove the not stuck clothing
    -Cover with a dry burn dressing for large burns, moist sterile burn dressing for more minor or smaller surface area burns.
    -Treat for shock and pain with fluid and meds
    -Support the airway and keep warm, with large burns the bodies ability to regulate temp is lost so keep them warm.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I may be mistaken on what I have been seeing in stores. It's just a small packet. I haven't picked one up and took a look.
    Celox normally comes in a packet of granules. Quick clot is mostly gauze now. Dont know if celix has put out a gauze yet, but even if they have, id still use a burn dressing.