Thread: Canned seeds

Do you have a robot?

Canned seeds

Has anyone used canned seeds. I have always used our own but I was looking at putting some up at my place up north. There are several different types of canned seeds. I guess if I do so I will buy two and then try them out. It will force me to put in a bigger garden which is a good thing. Anyone have any information I would appreciate it.

A laugh a minute
    Never heard of canned seeds before. What is that exactly? I keep seeds from my plants each year. Plant them the next year, never keep them longer than 2 years.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Just 2 or 3 mice or squirrels will do the job....don't ask

Haven't used them, but we have a can set aside for post emergency use. Guaranteed heirloom non-hybrid varieties nitrogen packed in a #10 can.
    Like everything else hope they are not actually required, but on hand just to be sure.

Do you have a robot?
    I agree that is why I was inquiring. Below is a link since I'm not sure if I explained it right. I keep my seeds too. Taz how do you store yours? I just put them in a jar so they stay dry. Have you kept them longer than 2 years. I was just wondering. I am going to start keeping some aside to test starting this year.

http://beprepared.com/canned-heirloom-garden-seeds.html

I'll most likely shit myself

He doesn't use canned seed, just packets, bagged, or seed he has saved himself. But my stepdad puts his in a container and stores them in a freezer. He's had pretty good success with seed up to 4-5 years old.

A laugh a minute
    Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    I agree that is why I was inquiring. Below is a link since I'm not sure if I explained it right. I keep my seeds too. Taz how do you store yours? I just put them in a jar so they stay dry. Have you kept them longer than 2 years. I was just wondering. I am going to start keeping some aside to test starting this year.

http://beprepared.com/canned-heirloom-garden-seeds.html
    I let them dry on the plant if possible and then just store them in a brown paper bag inside a glass mason jar. The bag will absorb the moisture if they were not dried all the way. Never put seeds in a ziplock or plastic bag unless you are sure they are completely dry. If they are not, they will rot.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Some seeds last longer than others under normal conditions.
    here is a link I'm sure there are others on the net : http://www.clearcreekseeds.com/seed-viability-chart/