Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlamps

Administrator

Headlamps

I got tired of the cheap dollar store and Harbor Freight headlamps so I've been researching headlamps for the past couple of days and am amazed at all the variants. I settled on the Gerber Bear Grylls model and a Princeton Tec "Byte." A couple of factors such as cost, warranty, USA made. batteries, and dual use (different lenses) was what sold me. I may return the Gerber and get a Princeton Tec "Fuel"

Anybody have experiences with the brands I have purchased? What brands/models do you use and swear by?
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

I'll most likely shit myself

I have several Petzel headlamps and swear by them. My newest one is a Tikka Plus. 70 Lumens out and decent battery life.

I love headlamps, keep your hands free for more important task typically.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I have several Petzel headlamps and swear by them.
    I've been looking at a few Petzl's The lamp seems chunkier than the Princeton's. I got to handle one up close, next time I go to REI.

I'll most likely shit myself

I have an old one (don't remember the model) that I've had for 25 years or more. Still works great and taken a beating over the years. It has a incandecent bulb and eats up the batteries pretty quickly. Our newer ones have LED's and do much better on batteries.

I have no knowledge of the Ptec brand or others so I really can't compare them. If they work for you, I say they are just fine.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I got some awhile back. I wanted both white and red LEDs, and hopefully all-weather use.
    I got some I ordered or got at Bass Pro, and they're alright. Getting from white to red is by pushing buttons to go through settings, which I'm not fond of, and not listed as even "water resistant".
    Then I found a Princeton Tec "Tactikka". White LED in several brightnesses, with colored lenses that just slide over the lens. It comes with red, blue, and green, but the unit only holds one at a time. That was fine, I was only interested in the red. Also listed as water resistant.
    I like it so much I got a second one.

Administrator

I just picked up a Princeton Tec "Byte". I am impressed with it so far. I must say, the compact size of it was really comfortable and stayed firm to my head as I wrestle my dog down to clean her ears. That little 50lb beast is tough.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I've got a Petzl Tactikka and a Surefire Saint Minimus. Both are great lamps.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

I have a Black Diamond Nightray LED that I like. 2 settings of brightness (2 or 5 LED). Takes 3 AAA batteries which I like. I've had it for a few years and only remembering changing the batteries once. Get's used on night hikes and bike rides for me.

It's not REALLY bright, but it's plenty of light for bombing a trail on my bike at midnight.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I agree with Bacpacker....they are nice headlamps and costs are not to bad either.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Not sure whether it's made in the USA or not but this one from Energizer is awesome. My son and I both use ours for occasionally for caving and frequently for camping. It just keeps running and running on lithium batteries. The 100 lumen intensity kicks ass and it's not that heavy of a unit, especially for being a metal cover not plastic. Lifetime warrantee too, but I can't speak for their customer service since I've had no reason to use it in the 3 years that I've owned mine.

My only complaint is actually a positive/purposeful design feature. There's a green LED strobe light on the back (battery pack) so that the person behind you can see where you are while caving and it works well for finding it when fishing out from the bottom of a backpack. On the flip side, it's so bright that I have to disconnect the battery pack at night because it lights up my hammock tarp so bright that I can see a flood of green with my eyes closed. Makes it kind of hard to sleep that way.

http://www.energizer.com/flashlights...headlight.aspx

Last edited by sigma pete; 06-22-2013 at 03:51 AM. Reason: fixed the link