Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trauma Scenario #2 with Dirty Pic ;)

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Ha, I used that pic in an EMT project...

In this case, rapid extraction to a safe location after Sealing wound with a moist sterile dressing... (moisten with NS)
    Once in a safe(r) location, treat for shock, and try to find a doc... as an EMT-B not much we can do other than that since the pre hospital care system is hosed, as well as any hospitals in the area... Odds are this dude is probably not going to make it unless you can find a Surgeon, some good antibiotics, and other meds... Odds are he has some pretty bad internal bleeding, and a blood transfusion may be necessary depending on his situation... Lots of monitoring vitals to see if he stabilizes or falls further into shock...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

would a grazing non-entry wound be a possibility? i say sterilize, poke his junk back into the hole, tape up said hole and find a doc!!

Quote Originally Posted by infamous1 View Post
    would a grazing non-entry wound be a possibility? i say sterilize, poke his junk back into the hole, tape up said hole and find a doc!!
    *cringe*

Yikes... Not the best of ideas for a protruding abdominal wound...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

My honest first thought when reading this was....."If I'm hit like this, give me a couple mags, a pint of booze and point me towards the direction of trouble. Leave my ass and get to safety. I'll hold them off as long as I can".

I don't mean that to sound all over-dramatic but in a true post-apocalyptic/total meltdown scenario you ain't coming back from that.

The reality is there are no hospitals, no medvacs, no trauma teams, etc. Get a serious wound and you are likely fucked.

Doesn't mean I'm giving up at the first scratch but if I look down and see my guts hanging out.......get the fuck out of dodge and leave me to slow em down a bit.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    My honest first thought when reading this was....."If I'm hit like this, give me a couple mags, a pint of booze and point me towards the direction of trouble. Leave my ass and get to safety. I'll hold them off as long as I can".

I don't mean that to sound all over-dramatic but in a true post-apocalyptic/total meltdown scenario you ain't coming back from that.

The reality is there are no hospitals, no medvacs, no trauma teams, etc. Get a serious wound and you are likely fucked.

Doesn't mean I'm giving up at the first scratch but if I look down and see my guts hanging out.......get the fuck out of dodge and leave me to slow em down a bit.
    That seriously depends on your level of preparedness, if you had a Team of Paramedics, CCRN's, and EMT's, hell maybe even a PA or two... Then you atleast have a fighting chance if you have the supplies... This is why Medical Preparedness is so important, and one of my better stocked categories... All I can say is, your not dead until I have tried everything at my disposal, or my group's disposal...

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    *cringe*

Yikes... Not the best of ideas for a protruding abdominal wound...
    how much ground could the group cover if ole Jimmy keeps getting his "junk" caught on the bushes?
    I am also of mind that if no medical assistance is availible he is in bad shape anyway and at least if it is back inside we don't have to look at it!!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

^^this

If you've got someone who has all their snausage hangin out like this, chances are you aint getting them back to anywhere if SHTF.

Even if you can, my immediate worry after bleeding is shock. Thats going to be big in this one.

If it were me, I'm with Stig. Gimme a wal-mart sack to put it all in, some extra mags, lemme cause some pain in my last few.

You go back and split up my gear.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Wow.... I got 2 likes for that post.

guess i know who wants my gear.....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    This is sepsis waiting to happen, which opens into a whole new world of probelms. I love a good train wreck.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post
    Some questions:
    How would you treat the patient?
    How could you secure the scene?
    What can you do to determine the weapon and extent of injury?
    Follow up question, Why is the weapon type, ammo and distance important?

GO!!
    No one really answered most of this, so I'll try.
    In no particular order:
    Weapon type, ammo type, and distance is important to help evaluate the extent of the wound, prior to "going in". The more powerful and closer the weapon, the more debris will have been driven inside the wound cavity, and therefore more "dirty crap" to cause infection. Ammo type will help determine what type of damage is to be expected internally, as well as to whether you'd be looking for one projectile, broken pieces of said projectile, or even multiple projectiles. Since I have no real experience in this, without physical knowledge, I could not tell by just looking. So I would probably be unable to tell myself.
    Secure the scene? Kill everything that I don't know to be friendly, immediately and with the most extreme prejudice.
    Buys the most time. I think you'd have to pretty much stretcher him out, and if there's pursuit, and you're on foot, that's not going to be an option. If you're staying put, after taking all threats out, try to get the patient covered and the area cleaned up as best you can, provided you're going to try to repair the wound. Put out security and let your docs get to work.
    How would I treat the patient? Since I don't have the skills to properly deal with this, you're probably fucked. If I can sit and stay alive, I'll wait with you. You could ask me to just "end it" for you. Or, if more threats are on the way, I could just give you my ammo, and let you make pain for them when they arrive. After all, I'm getting your ammo when I get back to camp.
    If it happened from a distance, and we know there's only one projectile, and it's what you want, I'll do my best. Realistically, I'd probably only be extending your suffering, since I don't have medical training or any sort. I know I'd be looking and feeling around for internal bleeds, finding the projectile, trying to get everything packed back in without any binds, and get it sewn shut. It'd be tough not to be just filling it all with infection.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.