Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trauma Scenario #2 with Dirty Pic ;)

In his experience the hammer head is better

Trauma Scenario #2 with Dirty Pic ;)

Ive been slacking around here so here is another scenario. You and your group of 5 other armed adults are ambushed by a group of undesirables, you respond and eliminate the threat. A member of your group is wounded in the abdomen by gunfire. This is the entrance wound, there is no exit wound. Recent total collapse TEOTWAWKI scenario, your skills and resources is all you have. Here is the patients info:

-25 year old Male
    -GSW from approx 40 yards, victim saw the shooter
    -Patient Screaming in extreme pain throughout the abdomen
    -No Exit wound
    -No major visible bleeding
    -Skin pink warm and dry
    -Rapid strong radial pulse and breathing

Some questions:
    How would you treat the patient?
    How could you secure the scene?
    What can you do to determine the weapon and extent of injury?
    Follow up question, Why is the weapon type, ammo and distance important?

GO!!
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    Im not very good at these from the medical side, and im sure bilat 16's with LR and NS and transport to trauma center isnt feasible

Honestly, Im not keen on field surgery to look for a foreign object in someone's abdomen.

The pulse and breathing concern me as he may decompensate Pretty quick. The caliber concerns me cause of the size of the cavity and shock wave. Im more worried about the bullet not exiting. Not only does he have a bullet in him, but it tells me the bullet dumped its energy quick, Thats potential for a large temporary cavity.

Where in the abdomen He was hit and what the pain feels like would help me base my decision better, but he's probably done for.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Does the GSW victim in this scenario have his guts hanging out as depicted in the picture?

Weapon, ammo type and distance would be handy to guess at the extent of the internal injuries. If it's a FMJ there's a chance it could have passed through. The absence of gushing blood perhaps means that while painful nothing major was hit. That said, he'd have to be monitored to ensure he wasn't bleeding out internally.

If it was a JHP or soft point the he could potentially be seriously hosed.

I think the key would be securing the scene pronto. 2 of the group would have to take up hasty overwatch positions to ensure the badguys friends don't respond to gunfire and screaming. You and your assistant would have to make an evaluation to see if the patient could be moved, even if only a few yards, to a position that would offer any cover if out in the open.

From there....well.....I guess calling a medvac isn't real likely eh?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Awesome responses guys. Yes he is evicerated like in the picture.

As for the bleeding, remember with intestines hanging out they are plugging the hole. Also the abdomen can hold a lot of blood without it coming out. So it doesn't necessarily mean there is no major arteries hit.
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post
    Awesome responses guys. Yes he is evicerated like in the picture.

As for the bleeding, remember with intestines hanging out they are plugging the hole. Also the abdomen can hold a lot of blood without it coming out. So it doesn't necessarily mean there is no major arteries hit.
    Oh I thought the picture was just for funzies. He isnt having a good day, and tomorrow will be worse.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Yup. . .what he ^^^ said.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

If that is me, than end if for me quickly please. I don't see any real recovery from something like that without real medical care. And I sure as hell don't want to live for days suffering.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

I agree with Helo. If SHJHTF that is just a slow painful death if they arent bleeding out internally.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Not all is lost on abdominal wounds. Don't get me wrong it would be a very very rough go of it. Not only the surgery but the recovery. Read through the NATO war surgery book. It's able to he found on the interwebs. Good material there.