Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to achieve a years worth of food.

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks for the post Fatty. Makes me think I might be doing it right so far LOL
    Kes,
    I believe I read on another site that for every cup (8oz) of "berries", you get approximately a cup to 1-1/4 cups of flour depending on how fine you grind it. Don't forget that flour goes rancid after about 4-5 years even storing in the freezer because grinding releases the oils in the berries. I had a bag of flour go bad even though I vac-packed it with the "sucky" machine. I hope that helps you.

It seems that the "gold standard" for prepping is food for one year. Certainly having a year's worth of stored food is ideal but not always practical for some, given space limitations. What you other folks on this forum call "silver and bronze" standards for food storage?

I'll most likely shit myself

Starting out 1 Month is a great goal. One year is one that can be had and will sure carry you a long way in a disaster. Since we grow a lot of our food most years, my goal is to have 2 years put back in a variety of methods. Primarily to get us thru a year with a failed growing season. If you have a 2nd year put back, it will allow you to make it thru the next growing season.
    I'm not to that point by any means, but it is a goal that's out there for me.

My original goal was to be set for one week. That quickly morphed into a month, three months, finally a year.

We went about it, actually still adding to our preps, by 'baby steps.' Buying one extra of everything we were putting into the cart. In some cases, like fresh carrots, we would buy one can of canned carrots. We also picked up some fo the dehydrated things from Mountain House and Weise. Be aware! Do not base your preps on deyhdrated foods. You need potable water to prepare them! Not much of a problem if you live near a reliable fresh water source. If you are in a suburban or urban situation like we are, you get your water from the city supply. Things will be a bitch when the water mains break in an earthquake or the water source is compromised by natural disaster or even terrorism.