Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rabbits

rabbits

i love rabbits and i love to eat them.. just had 8 new kits (babys) the other day and they grow so fast in 6 mths i can eat them .. they also feed my garden with there poo and my garden feeds them weeds and all .. i put there left over nest in my compost pile its a win win win for me .. i keep lion heads (i can sale them as pets to make xtra cash to) gets about 12 lb new zealand white meat rabbit love them gets about 11 or 12 lbs mine are a bit larger than that i have a large palomino im trying to mix in to beef up my own breed im working on i have some americans such good momas 12 to 13 lbs and 18 mix babys i breed my self ... working on a winter barn idea i have let you no how it goes .. also keeps the kids happy and gives them a pet thats not a no good eater ... they are not hard to keep just take a little time .. i kill and skin them my self yes a women it is not hard at all takes no time , you just hold them by the back legs love on them alittle to calm them hit them on the head behind the ears at the base of the skull tell blood comes out the mouth and nose they may jump alittle so hold them good and thats all there is to it ..

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Id like to have some rabbits. My wifes afraid the kids will give them heart attacks.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    Id love to, but with a little girl on the way id have a hard time convincing my gf to let me do that.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

Rabbit is good eating, that's all I got.

Anyone got some good recipes?

Where's the epi?

What are lion heads? I don't know anything about rabbits except we had a beautiful white one as a pet as a kid named Charlie who was trained to go potty in a child's plastic swimming pool. My mom gave him away to someone down the road and she just told me 40 years later that they ate him. Guess she decided I could finally handle the news. I think they are just so cuddly that I'm not sure I have the heart to kill something I relate to as a pet. I'm a crybaby. I'm going to cry when we get chickens and I have to kill them. Bunnies bring Easter eggs. But I hear the meat is very good.

What exactly do you feed them? Do you buy their food or is it stuff you grow or scraps from your own food?
    I apologize for nothing...

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    Lion heads look like lions. They have a "mane". pretty cute actually.

We raised new Zealand's when I was a kid. Really good eating rabbits. We currently have 3 new Zealand's (2 doe and a buck) but I'm sure once they mature we will end up with lots more.

In the meantime we have had a pretty steady amount of wild rabbit for dinner that makes the mistake of getting into my garden.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We where raising champagne's, but they could no take the Texas summer, and we did not like the way the meat tasted canned. In a gumbo it was good, but not canned. We switched to California's and I have to slaughter 4 of them today.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ditchmedic View Post
    Id love to, but with a little girl on the way id have a hard time convincing my gf to let me do that.
    i have a one year old little girl and she loves them and they are clean , in my mind it is the best thing you can do for your kids you will always have something for your family to eat , i went from 14 to 32 1n 2 mths .. and i spend 14$ a mth to feed them..

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    What are lion heads? I don't know anything about rabbits except we had a beautiful white one as a pet as a kid named Charlie who was trained to go potty in a child's plastic swimming pool. My mom gave him away to someone down the road and she just told me 40 years later that they ate him. Guess she decided I could finally handle the news. I think they are just so cuddly that I'm not sure I have the heart to kill something I relate to as a pet. I'm a crybaby. I'm going to cry when we get chickens and I have to kill them. Bunnies bring Easter eggs. But I hear the meat is very good.

What exactly do you feed them? Do you buy their food or is it stuff you grow or scraps from your own food?
    lions heads have xtra fur you can look it up on the net and see picks .. i no it is hard but if you try to look at it like this it might help, in cop farms they are mean and nasty to animals and they have sad lifes and in turn you eat that and all the crap they put in them , my rabbits are happy and eat good they eat the weeds and scrap plants veg from my garden not lett makes them sick ... i get a 14$ bag of feed a mth at the coop ad give them a carrot each mth and alittle hay once a week and they are fat and happy. but i could feed them with out that just need to now a little about weeds and what not to feed them..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    We where raising champagne's, but they could no take the Texas summer, and we did not like the way the meat tasted canned. In a gumbo it was good, but not canned. We switched to California's and I have to slaughter 4 of them today.
    try alittle suger when you can it! i thank it helps..