Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snacks

Walking on Sunshine

Snacks

I was wondering if anyone has thought of what to do if shtf about making snacks like chips, stuff like that
    Potatoes we can grow and if you have the solid Crisco, one could make chips But what about stuff we take for granted? Chexx mix, Dortitos,etc. I read about having candy , chocolate on hand but you can only eat so much candy before one gets tired of it.
    I've made chips but not sure how to go about the other chip types.DH loves his Frito's and bean dip.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Most corn chips are just fried corn tortilla strips. You just need a decent corn tortilla recipe, and oil.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I'll most likely shit myself

We stock a bunch of Jolly Ranchers, and lots of Dark Chocolate. Ice cream will be what I miss badly. I suspect nut's will become a favorite snack after SHTF.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    PSHTF snacks will IMHO be greatly different from what we enjoy today, due to the nature of preserves, etc...

I suspect skillet fried grasshoppers may replace Doretoes, etc.. Not seriously, but its the thought that deserves examining.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Diced and salt cured cat?
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Walking on Sunshine

thanks ak, I forgot about that.
    bp, there is a neat thing out there, it is a ball you put milk in one chamber and the salt and ice in another and let the kids roll it around for awhile and you got ice cream. I wonder if one could use powdered milk mix in it. I have an electric ice cream machine that you freeze the inner bowl, chamber ,hook it up and it twirls around for about 15_20 minutes and I have ice cream . Will have to see if I can mix a batch of powdered milk up and see if I can get something that resembles ice cream/milk from . Now I just have make room in the freezer for the bowl to freeze it up.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Don't ask me about the measurements/mixing of these ingredients but when I was little my grandparents would mix...

Peanut butter
    Honey
    powdered milk

Mix it in a bowl and there you go.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Diced and salt cured cat?
    why PSHTF. This one is good now too.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

We eat a lot of pop corn here, so stocking up some on the kernels isn't too tough. Plus I've started buying some of the flavor powders, and we mix spices for it as well. The kids have also developed a real taste for dehydrated fruit, pineapple and mango dipped in melted chocolate is a favorite treat too. When they leave it long enough for me to do it any way.

Walking on Sunshine

DH likes his popcorn too. However I'm going to have stock some butter powder for him . He's not a big fan of "flavored" corn.Of course he'll eat it plain but it might be nice to use the powder for him once in awhile Gunfixer, you stay away from my kitties, need them to corral the mice and keep the little ones amused.