Thread: Big Boy Sleeping Bags

Administrator

Big Boy Sleeping Bags

Being in the Army, I've always hated the big bulky multiple layer sleeping bags they give us. Even with the stuff sack, the darn bag takes up a lot of real estate. I've been in the market for a smaller and lighter bag for my field exercises and for bug out/camp bags. Snugpak made a sleeping bag called the jungle bag, that looked promising weighing in at only 2.2lbs but even with the generous measurements of Length: 7.2 feet Width 4.92 feet I felt like a sausage in a tight casing. I could barely roll on to my side without fear of busting through the sleeping bag.

I am a rather large guy. I stand at 6'3 and normally tipping the scales at 246lbs. With all the physical training I do, I also have rather broad shoulders. My voluptuous proportions makes buying clothes hard. (I had to get a civilian tailor to create my dress uniform because the tailor on post couldn't do anything with a off the rack uniform.) This also makes buying other equipment like chestrigs, vests, and sleeping bags hard to shop for. Anybody know of a XL sleep system that could accommodate someone my size and not take over my pack? I fear for a light weight option to stay warm, I am stuck with my trusty woobies.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

I'll most likely shit myself

check out Big Agnus bags. IIRC they make some warm, light, large bags.

http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=6

Under the section choose the proper size this is a quote the "Long and wide bag will fit a person 6 foot 5 inches and 260 pounds. The length is 90 inches and the wide is 34 inches."

I've not bought from them but in looking they sound good. I already have the USGI modular woodland camo sleep system, but have been looking for a few more bags for the family.

I too am of average size, as you are. Wiggys, or Cabelas has big bags.

I had to get not only my uniforms custom made, but my flight suits, nomex underware, etc. Damn my 39" sleeves.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I have one of those Snugpack Jungle bags, and it's too small for me also. At 6' 4" and about 250lbs, I have the same problem.

I have a large sized USGI Mountain bag I use mostly.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm 6-4 and around 260. My current bag is a extra large Marmont down bag. I've had it for 20 years and still love it. I do wish it was bigger around. Would sure be more comfortable and probably a little warmer as well. Actually I've been out in below zero temps and been plenty warm in it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    I have one of those Snugpack Jungle bags, and it's too small for me also. At 6' 4" and about 250lbs, I have the same problem.
    It's a damn shame they don't make a bigger version of that bag.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I'm 6-4 and around 260. My current bag is a extra large Marmont down bag. I've had it for 20 years and still love it. I do wish it was bigger around. Would sure be more comfortable and probably a little warmer as well. Actually I've been out in below zero temps and been plenty warm in it.
    I'll give them a look.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Go to your local REI or EMS on the East Coast and try on the sleeping bags they have in the store.

If that isn't an option, look at the sizes on the REI website of bags. Buy one that should work based on sizes. If it doesn't work, just use their hassle free return policy and ship it back for a refund or swap for a different size.

I quit using a bag several years ago. I found that a military poncho with a couple of poncho liners gave me all the protections I needed with minimal weight, and once you get the liners scrunched down and vac-sealed they don't take much room. If I was further North where the temps got lower for longer I might go back to the dedicated bag, but for my needs now not so much.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Big Agnus bags are the way to go for larger folk.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton