Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Emergency Loadout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Next is the belt
    Always have a question about the guys with belts, so I'll ask it here. I don't mean to pick on you

I started out in the Army in the days of LBEs, then LBVs....then finished with IOTVs etc.
    In my civilian job I've worn a gun belt for years. Nowadays I wear the gun belt with suspenders to take the weight off my hips
    Bottom line, why do none of you guys with these belts wear any sort of load-bearing suspenders....I see a ton of gear on a wait belt, and all I can think of is the long term effects of that weight without any of the burden being taken up by the shoulders.

My car kit has old school LBE , plus a work plate carrier that I can throw on if I needed to.
    Not sure I'd want all that weight on my hips alone over a prolonged period.
    Last edited by tc556guy; 06-10-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
    Bottom line, why do none of you guys with these belts wear any sort of load-bearing suspenders....I see a ton of gear on a wait belt, and all I can think of is the long term effects of that weight without any of the burden being taken up by the shoulders.

My car kit has old school LBE , plus a work plate carrier that I can throw on if I needed to.
    Not sure I'd want all that weight on my hips alone over a prolonged period.
    The designs of many of the belts negate the effectiveness of the belt. In some cases, suspenders are warranted when running heavier loads. In other instances, such as my example above, there is not enough weight to make much of a difference.

By design, many of your modern battle belts (not duty belts) are designed to cinch down very snugly, providing support to the user.

It all depends what you are using the belt for.

I usually dont like to run suspenders in conjunction with my vest unless I have to. Sometimes the vest and the suspender straps dont get along.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I am new at getting ready for SHTF. What is Shemagh and where do I get quick clot and Celox. Great list! Thanks

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
    I am new at getting ready for SHTF. What is Shemagh and where do I get quick clot and Celox. Great list! Thanks
    A shemagh is the tablecloth you see middle easterners wearing, (houndstooth pattern) but its Black and Tan, or OD green, etc. quik clot can be found all over the Internet, you'll see varying prices on the different products out there as well.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon View Post

Chinook Medical Gear
    is a good source for anticoagulants
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I use the Kifaru Xing as my 72 hour Bug out Bag. Its a bombproof pack. if your not familiar with Kifaru Gear. I highly recommend them.

Here is what I keep with me 24/7 never know when SIGTHTF so I always stayed Prepared. Enjoy!

List of the Kit...
    Kifaru Paratarp
    Climate Pad
    HPG Mountain Serape in a small 3 string kifaru stuff sack.
    5x8 heat reflecting tarp (lay on ground in the Paratarp
    Shemagh
    3 liter 100oz Camelbak low profile bladder
    Seirus xtreme gloves and a hat
    Primus ETA Cook set with stove fuel and pot
    Survival Candle from Bigsky
    Surival evasion book also from Bigsky (Thanks again buddy)
    Maxpedition case with all of my first aid kit
    Rain coat (Forgot the brand but its a decent one)
    TP
    Esee 4
    Buck Vantage Folder
    Leatherman Rebar
    Fenix PD35
    Zebralight 502 headlamp
    5 spare batteries Lithium 3.6 volts each (Both the Zebra and Fenix use these)
    Garmin GPS60csx
    Vortex Ranger 1000 Range Finder (Use this for its magnification and its a heck of a lot smaller to carry then my Binos)
    Cold Steel Inferno 3.5 ounce can of kick ass
    3 days worth of Energy Food, Energy Bars, Fruit nut candy mix, snickers, Justins PB, Tuna Packets, All lightweight high protien and calorie type stuff. Lots of drink mixes coffee and rehydrate Tablets This is in 2 of the Kifaru Pouches.
    Another has my toiletry stuff, aka toothbrush toothpaste flossers Wipes.
    Another Pouch has my Sawyer water filter with a back up 64 ounce Sawyer water pouch.
    Last possible Pouch has my little stuff,

Wetfire, compass, another mini light, swiss army, 4 ways to start a fire, Matches flint steel bic lighter ect.

Almost forgot attached to the Xing is a KU Possible pouch which has 50 foot of paracord zipties and some other nylon twine.

All of this fits in the Xing

Next is the stuff that gets broken out if it ever gets bad enough and we have some Katrina-like meltdown.

Chest Rig/ Armor carrier

Blackhawk Chest rig with front and back panels. Level IV SAPI plates front and back;

5 pistol mags
    8 AR mags/ 1 in the gun (9 total)
    1 mag for the .22 conversion
    surefire G2 light
    Petzel Tactikka headlamp
    Leatherman Multi-tool
    Chem Lights
    Rite in the rain notepad, pencil
    surefire batteries
    maps of my area

Finally, we get to the belt mounted hardware.

My advanced trauma kit. Lot's of field dressings; lots of gauze, gloves, light, more quik-clot and celox, chest seals, tape, chest decompression needles, elastic tourniquet, phenagren, epi-pens, and lot's more advanced goodies.

Kimber desert Warrior and CUDA CQB-1. These get paired with the 10.5 inch SBR I keep with me everywhere.

Like I said, it's a work in progress, but it's at least functionable right now. I don't think I'll ever have to use the armor and and the really hardcore turn-out gear, but I've been wrong before..........

Mine's been a work in progress for quite a while, but I'll share with you what I have done so far. I'll highlight some of the "featured" items and refrain from showing most of the standard run of the mill stuff.

Keep in mind, all of these items stay in my vehicle, so they're readily accessible. I plan on making it home or driving the car till I no longer can before pulling this stuff out. Or, if this S has hit the Fan really bad, I'll break it out.

Here's the whole shebang.

It's a tiered system. I can wear all or just pick apart what I need.
    Blackhawk 3 day assault pack. Most cases, I see just using the pack.

It has the standard stuff. MRE's; extra clothes, socks, undies, t-shirts, etc.;
    fishing gear; mess kit; Coleman max backpacking stove and 2 fuel cylinders; extra gear straps; duct tape; 300 ft. 550 cord; firestarting kit- lighters, matches, dryer lint, magnesium, all housed in an old peanut butter jar; camelbak; 2 extra nalgenes; Gore-tex parka; 2 GI ponchos; tent stakes;
    poncho liner in bedroll at bottom; 6x primary rifle mags; drop in 22 conversion for AR, 2 .22 magazines, and extra ammo

Gerber LMF II and Ontario SP-16 SPAX (good for everything from camp chores like cutting wood to opening up fire hydrants and O2 tanks)

and Let's not forget the flask. I thought this could come in hands for everything from firestarting to possible trading fodder. Especially since it's full. LOL

Claptrap's Problem Solver

As much as I rail against those who think SHTF is solely defined as Mad-Max zombie mania, that doesn't mean I don't maintain a "fighting load-out". Over the next few posts I hope to detail what I maintain.

------------

BCM03 Harness

My overall guiding principle for this setup is light, easy to don and basic. I figure if a Katrinia situation unfolds I want to be able to suit up quickly and respond NOW. Further, being that it will be hotter than balls I don't want to burn too many calories carrying around unneeded crap. The BCM03 harness incorporates a hydration bladder into an highly functional, easy to adjust harness.

So from right to left:
    2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56x45
    2 Glock 23 mags .40s&w
    2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56 x 45
    1 TQ in a Blue Force Gear TQ Now!
    Med Shears

That's it. Like I said, this is a lightweight and simple rig.

ATS Warbelt

A little more involved but again the focus was light-weight, simple and focused on one thing.....killing or fixing wounds. The belt is a blackhawk webbelt with an ATS Tactical belt cover thingy.

From right to left

Maxpedition Rollypolly Dump Pouch: This is slated for replacement as I've read review after review that says they suck for mags.
    Safariland ALS holster for Glock 23w/light
    Tactical Tailor Grenade pouch: Currently empty but will be hiding spot for white smoke grenades (I keep those under lock and key)
    Double mag pouch: Two Glock 22, 15 round .40s&w mags
    Marz Combat Medic Pouch: This serves as my IFAK and it provides shingles for 3 additional 30rnd PMAGs

The Marz (info found HERE) is pricy at $85 and is very large for an IFAK but I got it specifically because it combined the function of the mag shingles and med kit. I had been using a Maxpedition FR-1 with a standard 3 slot shingle and the footprint was massive. If I went prone it felt like I was laying on a beachball.

So the Marz keeps the overall bulk of the kit down despite it being larger than a standard IFAK. The thing is very well built and looks like it could survive a missile attack.

Evaluation:

So far my evaluations have consisted of draw and fire (dry) in my office so it's only about 5% of the overall picture. That said, it quickly became apparent that my original set up (much different than above) wouldn't work. Everything interfered with everything else and even only being in my office the damn thing was uncomfortable. So with some trial and error I came up with this combination.

From the static anyway, draws are unimpeded and I can bend over/flex/twist without stuff poking me in the ribs.

I am slated to take a carbine class in July so I'll be able to put this setup through the paces for 3 straight days. Needless to say, I'm sure I'll find out many flaws and required changes based on that.

And the brown lump in the extreme left is my dog's butt. She is 13 and looked at me as if to say, "Get bent, I'm old" when I tried to get her to move.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout