Thread: Your Emergency Loadout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Claptrap's Problem Solver

As much as I rail against those who think SHTF is solely defined as Mad-Max zombie mania, that doesn't mean I don't maintain a "fighting load-out". Over the next few posts I hope to detail what I maintain.

------------

BCM03 Harness

My overall guiding principle for this setup is light, easy to don and basic. I figure if a Katrinia situation unfolds I want to be able to suit up quickly and respond NOW. Further, being that it will be hotter than balls I don't want to burn too many calories carrying around unneeded crap. The BCM03 harness incorporates a hydration bladder into an highly functional, easy to adjust harness.

So from right to left:
    2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56x45
    2 Glock 23 mags .40s&w
    2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56 x 45
    1 TQ in a Blue Force Gear TQ Now!
    Med Shears

That's it. Like I said, this is a lightweight and simple rig.

ATS Warbelt

A little more involved but again the focus was light-weight, simple and focused on one thing.....killing or fixing wounds. The belt is a blackhawk webbelt with an ATS Tactical belt cover thingy.

From right to left

Maxpedition Rollypolly Dump Pouch: This is slated for replacement as I've read review after review that says they suck for mags.
    Safariland ALS holster for Glock 23w/light
    Tactical Tailor Grenade pouch: Currently empty but will be hiding spot for white smoke grenades (I keep those under lock and key)
    Double mag pouch: Two Glock 22, 15 round .40s&w mags
    Marz Combat Medic Pouch: This serves as my IFAK and it provides shingles for 3 additional 30rnd PMAGs

The Marz (info found HERE) is pricy at $85 and is very large for an IFAK but I got it specifically because it combined the function of the mag shingles and med kit. I had been using a Maxpedition FR-1 with a standard 3 slot shingle and the footprint was massive. If I went prone it felt like I was laying on a beachball.

So the Marz keeps the overall bulk of the kit down despite it being larger than a standard IFAK. The thing is very well built and looks like it could survive a missile attack.

Evaluation:

So far my evaluations have consisted of draw and fire (dry) in my office so it's only about 5% of the overall picture. That said, it quickly became apparent that my original set up (much different than above) wouldn't work. Everything interfered with everything else and even only being in my office the damn thing was uncomfortable. So with some trial and error I came up with this combination.

From the static anyway, draws are unimpeded and I can bend over/flex/twist without stuff poking me in the ribs.

I am slated to take a carbine class in July so I'll be able to put this setup through the paces for 3 straight days. Needless to say, I'm sure I'll find out many flaws and required changes based on that.

And the brown lump in the extreme left is my dog's butt. She is 13 and looked at me as if to say, "Get bent, I'm old" when I tried to get her to move.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    ------------

BCM03 Harness

The BCM03 harness incorporates a hydration bladder into an highly functional, easy to adjust harness.

So from right to left:
    2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56x45
    2 Glock 23 mags .40s&w
    2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56 x 45
    1 TQ in a Blue Force Gear TQ Now!
    Med Shears

That's it. Like I said, this is a lightweight and simple rig.
    I love that rig!!! with some different pouches, it would be perfect for a bazillion things! First and formost... hunting and trapping!

gotta keep an eye out for one of them.

TX Stig!