Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raw sewage

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Raw sewage

While surfing the net for intel stories I came across THIS story at Foxnews....

Neighbors sue rural Ga. city to fix sewer system that spews waste into yards and fouls creek
    Published August 31, 2013
    Associated Press

ROCHELLE, Ga. – Residents in rural south Georgia are suing their tiny city over a particularly icky problem — raw sewage that backs up and floods in their yards during heavy rains.

Rochelle Mayor James Rhodes calls the waste bubbling up from manhole covers and relief valves outside people's homes "an act of God." He blames unusually wet weather for flooding the city's sewer pipes.

But some residents say flooding sewage has been a problem for years. Eight residents filed a federal lawsuit Aug. 13 saying the city's faulty sewer system is polluting nearby Mills Creek in violation of the federal Clean Water Act.

The issue is more personal for Monesa Coney, who's had sewage pooling in her yard. She bought her children a videogame console to keep them from playing outside.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/31...#ixzz2davlNEtk
    A SHTF event is unfolding in your area and raw sewage starts backing up....

1) What threats does it pose?

2) How do you deal with it?

3) What precautions can you take?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Thankfully no sewers in my AO. Everyone is on septic tank/drainfills. My property is higher than most everything in the imediate area.

For the Love of Cats

I have my own septic field, but when the tank gets full I would have to fire up my trash pump and pump it off into the bush down wind, and down stream of me.

no problem!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

We have been at our place 19 years. Never had issues, but I think I need to beat it to the punch and get the septic pumped. Good SHTF prep if you plan on bugging in.

Walking on Sunshine

I'm trying to figure out how to cut off the city system from my house in shtf situation.Just don't want it backing up in the house before the ijiots in the city figure out city services are shut off and stop flushing their toilets.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to cut off the city system from my house in shtf situation.Just don't want it backing up in the house before the ijiots in the city figure out city services are shut off and stop flushing their toilets.
    Your plumber can fit your system with a one-way valve so the sewage can flow out but not in. Another alternative is to provide a low-pressure opening for the outflow pipe. If the sewer backs up from the main line it will release through the opening instead of your house.

For the Love of Cats

you can also get a sewer plug that in case of emergency you can pop in and stop anything from coming back up. keep in mind... nothing goes out while it is in either...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

thats just gross.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

I'm on a septic system now, but...

I just heard of something called humanure, and I'm somewhat interested in the concept. Contain and compost it folks
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

MIT, long term SHTF that is probably the best option. Even at that I would want it downstream from my water supply.