Thread: Dehydrating spinach, etc

Walking on Sunshine

Dehydrating spinach, etc

Has anyone dehydrated spinach or other leafy veggies and had good luck with it? I'm thinking about drying spinach till it can be crumbled to powder and adding it to food I cook? That way I can get the grandkids (and the bigger kids) to get iron into them without the hassle of making them eat spinach.One of my sons dislikes most mushrooms but loves portabellas so I mince the others up real small and he'll eat what ever they're in. It's probably the texture of whole ones. My sister would not and still won't eat peas but she'll slurp down pea soup till she turns green.

For the Love of Cats

should be no different than dehydrating any herb. treat it as such. Great idea for getting the nutrician without the hassle
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Walking on Sunshine

That's what I thought too. Recently got a dehydrator so can't wait to try it out.But I'm still "catching up" from being off for knee surgery.

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    A dehydrator shouldn't be necessary. Bunch some up and hang It from a "clothes line" in a warm, dry place for a few weeks.

Granted dehydrating is way faster.

Walking on Sunshine

Did that with the French tarragon and the cilantro last year but with all the rain we've had this year it's too damp to hang stuff That's one reason I got the dehydrator. Our dehumidifier is running almost constantly right now and weatherman is saying it will be a wet fall and winter.

For the Love of Cats

a bonus for the dehydrator, is that is pumping warm dry air around, albeit a small amount, but that should help with your humidity problem.

Mine has been running non-stop for 27 days now! lol

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

For the Love of Cats

What's the word Kat? Given your suggestion (leafy's) I picked some beet leaves and am trying to dry them now. Same idea, should be good in casseroles etc, plus they taste awesome, and they are incredibly good for ya. report to follow

Walking on Sunshine

Haven't got to running mine yet. Still trying to organize things around here.Can't wait till your report on the beet leaves.though. Thank you ,Thank you

For the Love of Cats

turned out awesome. dried nice and crisp like a herb, crushed up well, and is intensely flavourfull. I will be lopping the rest of the leaves off my beets for the dehydrator!

Walking on Sunshine

We'll have to try the beets next year. So far DH hasn't had much luck with root crops, but he keeps trying.