Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a firearm? Better have a plan

Have a firearm? Better have a plan

Anyone who has firearms for any reason, should have a plan for dealing with this sort of problem - either intentional or accidental.

Warning: This youtube video is quite graphic. While I don't know the ultimate outcome of the victim, I doubt it would turn out well for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8gGXZDRY0

A human can bleed to death in less than two minutes from this type of injury. It is also quite hard to treat: Even a tourniquet may be useless if the injury is too high on the leg. The only treatment would be to immediately pack the wound with a hemostatic bandage (combat gauze), apply lots of pressure, and get higher medical help, fast.

So, have the right tools at hand.

Good point! Also applies to most tools like chainsaws, axes, bandsaw, etc. in normal times having a good medical handy when using firearms or tools can buy you more time to get aid. In SHTF time your medical kit may be the only treatment you will get.

In today's society we are so use to 911 and nearby hospital for immediate treatment. But traveling overseas, working/living in remote areas, or SHTF those amenities will not be available.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Damn, I could have gone the rest of my life and never seen that...

But, point well made. Femoral is a MAJOR.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

In his experience the hammer head is better

Keep a TQ with you or at least very near you at all times. As the good DR said packing or quickclot type material my be the only way to go if the injury is too high up. Last resort could be to get in there with some hemostats and try to clamp off the artery however thats pretty advanced and success is pretty low on actually getting it clamped.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Yep, after a few trainings and a "medical incident" Firebase Stig became awash in TQs, hemostatic agents, triangle bandages and gauze.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

I have been working on improving my medical aid gear. Serious wounds similar to that is one of the things I have been working on (mainly due to chainsaw use). I need more and have them spread around everywhere.

That video will sure make you think.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    yup, have a plan, have a way to implement that plan, and have the materials to implement it with.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

If your going after hemostatic agents, remember... the granule type is going to have to be removed prior to stitching yourself back up... The gauze impregnated stuff is going to hurt removing, but is going to be easier...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    If your going after hemostatic agents, remember... the granule type is going to have to be removed prior to stitching yourself back up... The gauze impregnated stuff is going to hurt removing, but is going to be easier...
    Big Army actually doesnt even recommend use of the granule anymore. the main reason behind it though, is that your ground level first responder medic or Joe was using the stuff on pretty much any injury, that coupled with not using the proper PPE while in the field, and getting the hemostatic agent in their eyes during combat zone operations, led to a disuse amongst pretty much all units except tier I & tier II guys. Basically figured, since they arent smart enough to use it, dont give it to them. Had to make it soldier/marine proof to be able to use it, hence the use of Hemostatic gauze now. Myself, I still keep large quantities on hand, but also know to use it, make sure you are wearing eye protection, one blast of wind and those granuales get in your eyes, combine that with the thermobaric reaction to liquids, and you are in for a world of hurt. Just be forewarned is all if you are going to use it. If you want to mitigate the risk, switch to the gauze.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post

It doesnt matter, you won't be awake for the removal. The only people I've ever heard complaining about it are Army Surgeons, and the only thing that whines more than they do is an Apache tail rotor gearbox.