Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My land supplied more food

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    have you shot a lot from that height? extrapolating between pin sets isn't too hard with a bit of practice.

you can also use flagging tape, or even spray paint to mark distances along sight lines. one dab on the ground for every five yards, or a dot at 5 and a dash at 10. it's a quick and easy way of marking an area without placing a bunch of 'non-native' looking stakes.
    I sight it on down hill behind my house. Not quite as high, but pretty close.

It isn't remember what pin is what that is the problem. I just get too excited and sometimes pick the first pin I see. I am getting better about it, but don't think I will ever have more than 3 pins.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

For the Love of Cats

lol. I had my bow set with 8 pins. four coming off the left for distances set for horizontal shooting, an four from the right for shooting from elevated positions. It's actually amazing how much of a difference there is from one to the other. I used to leave a note in the case to remind me what they were. lol
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Dang that is crazy. I just use Kentucky windage for the in between shots.

For the Love of Cats

oh there was still guestimates for in between, but the pin for 45 yards from elevation, was almost at the same place as the one for 35 horizontal. The one for 45 from horizontal was almost bang on for 60 from elevation.

I just found it easier to run two sets of pins, than try to extrapolate back an forth. I love stalking so I could/would do that for a couple hours before jacking up a tree to sit and wait... and when I got bored of that, I'd carry on stalking.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

oh there was still guestimates for in between, but the pin for 45 yards from elevation, was almost at the same place as the one for 35 horizontal. The one for 45 from horizontal was almost bang on for 60 from elevation.

I just found it easier to run two sets of pins, than try to extrapolate back an forth. I love stalking so I could/would do that for a couple hours before jacking up a tree to sit and wait... and when I got bored of that, I'd carry on stalking.
    I never stalk, not enough land. I only own 64 acres, and most of it is too thick. I always hunt from a elevated platform.

In my back yard the target is probably 10 feet below where I stand to shoot, maybe a little more. Guess I could just climb up a tree and sight in at a more elevated position.

For the Love of Cats

what do you border on? neighbours? crown? can you get permission?

I stalk on my 80 acres, just cause I can. Nothing like the rush of sneaking up on an unsuspecting deer or bear or wild cat... or rabbit or squirrel.

Once you start stalk hunting, you'll never go back to tree stands! It is a serious rush!

what do you border on? neighbours? crown? can you get permission?

I stalk on my 80 acres, just cause I can. Nothing like the rush of sneaking up on an unsuspecting deer or bear or wild cat... or rabbit or squirrel.

Once you start stalk hunting, you'll never go back to tree stands! It is a serious rush!
    My property borders lots of paper company land that is leased out to hunters, so no permission. It is also just way to think to try to stalk in. Lots of it you have to crawl to get through.

You say you would have passed on him with a rifle. Where I am from that is a big nice buck. Apparently we don't grow deer down here like y'all do there.

Any deer that puts meat in the freezer is a good deer to me.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by Possom View Post
    You say you would have passed on him with a rifle. Where I am from that is a big nice buck. Apparently we don't grow deer down here like y'all do there.

Any deer that puts meat in the freezer is a good deer to me.
    I have killed lots of 8's, wanting to get a bigger one eventually. Only way to get bigger ones is to let the young ones grow up. This buck was only about 2.5 years old. Want to start letting them get to 4.5 years old before I take them.

We are going to put 4-5 deer in the freezer this year, even if I had let him pass, I would have still killed another buck. We got 3 in the freezer right now, and will probably put another in this weekend.

I wish I had that option here. Even hunting on private land deer wander and get killed before they turn 3 here. In my part of Arkansas we do not have that many deer. I mean we have a healthy population but not in great numbers. If I were hunting in Kansas or Missouri I would have passed on him as well. But here that is a big deer.

We have a 3 point rule here in Arkansas but in my opinion it is only making things worse. I have pictures of 3 year old deer on my game cameras with spikes a foot long. He will never make a good rack. From genetics or food supply something is wrong and he needs taken out of the population. But it is illegal for anyone to kill him. So they will wait for the first small racked one year old 5 point they see and kill it. The young good bucks are being taken out of the population while the bad genetic deer get a pass.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.