Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What is everyone reading now and/or read lately

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I know it's kinda cliche', but I'm reading World War Z right now.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    If you can give us a review on the kindle. I am thinking about one.
    I picked one up about a month ago....basic model. The first book I downloaded was "One Second After"--As for the review, downloading was simple, smooth and it holds a large amount of material. I would recommend.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Finished Lucifer's Hammer last week. I felt it wasn't as good as OSA but still a great book. Gotta watch out for those comets!

Studying the technician manual for Ham now.

For the Love of Cats

^
    where's you get that Fatty? Haven't seen it locally.

Just finished Scarpetta, by Patricia Cornwell. Not prepping related, but I'm a sucker for Dr. Kay.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Sniper, if you wanna read it ill happily mail it to you.

For the Love of Cats

Thanks Fatty. I'm hitting a couple of bookstores today after work (X-mas shopping). If I don't find it again, I'll take you up on that

Claptrap's Problem Solver

After Christmas I'm going to pick up a few books from my youth to reread:

Where Eagles Dare - Alistair Mcclean (have it but my original copy is falling apart. This is my favorite story of all time, bar none)

The Partisans - Alistair MacLean (the main character in this story is the inspiration for Miller in my stories.)

Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy (the penultimate 1980's WWIII story. The battle scenes from End Game are my [lame] homage to Mr Clancy)

Team Yankee - Harold Coyle (a good 1980's WWIII story)

Then I need to reread (already have them):
    Spy Wednesday - William Hood (a good spy tale from the 1980's. The "feel" of this book is what I try to recreate when I'm writing the spy parts of my story.)

Confessional - Jack Higgins (an EXCELLENT series of novels about an IRA operative following him from WWII through the early 1980's. Confessional is the final book in the series and is the best IMO. I like the pacing and speed of the book)

The Eagle Has Landed - Jack Higgins (the first book in the series above. Good but not as good as Confessional. However, I like how the bad guy in the story is very relateable and hard to hate. Sound familiar?)

Charlie Mike - Leonard Scott (best Viet Nam book I can read. I try desperately to channel the emotion of this book when I write. See also the character Dove)

Sympathy for the Devil - Kent Anderson (a very dark Viet Nam book)

At some point I should probably go buy the WEB Griffin series The Brotherhood of War and re-read those. A very good story following men from WWII through Viet Nam.

Another book from my youth I should get around to rereading is Escape from Warsaw/The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier. I read it as a very young kid (like 4th or 5th grade maybe) and seem to remember it as a good book but my memory may be off on that one.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Nice list Stig. I've read several of those and see a couple titles I'd like to get. Charlie Mike and Sympathy for the Devil. both sound interesting.
    I just ordered One Second After for my Kindle. That'll be my next read when I get started on a new one.
    Last edited by bacpacker; 12-21-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

+100 on Escape from Warsaw/The Silver Sword. I remember reading that some number of years ago when I was in grade school (around the 5th grade when JFK was assassinated). Very moving story based on fact IIRC. Another one was Fire Hunter by Jim Kjelgaard that I read at the time. It was about a Cro-Magnan outcast and his discovery of the bow and arrow, after passing through his atlatl stage along the way.

I just finished reading Stieg Larssen's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy. It was a very interesting read. The Swedish movies of the same names are very good as well. So right now I'm reading the last in Matthew Bracken's Enemies Foreign and Domestic Trilogy. I got "Lights Out" as a pdf. from Arf.com some years ago as I recall, so I may revisit that.

I'm just not as technologically hip as you guys are, so I probably won't get a Kindle until my best friend (?) ridicules me into it.

But right now I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a real good read. Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy are over for the season and NASCAR doesn't start for 2 1/2 more months, so TV is only on for the morning news and weather channel for a half hour in the morning. On the flip side, my electric bill this month was only $40.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Looks like the rest will be put aside, while I study up on Myasthenia Gravis, and well, it will be prep related, as far as my family goes.

At least My wife come home before Christmas.