Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools, Jigs, & useful things

I'll most likely shit myself

Tools, Jigs, & useful things

I am a certified tool whore! With that out of the way, what are some of your favorite tools, jigs, or other useful things for making life easier, quicker, or better?

Here is something I am looking for:

http://www.notechmagazine.com/2011/0...rs-corers.html

We put up from one to five bushels of apples every year. This ends up being a lot of tedious, time consuming work to prepare the apples for drying, canning, freezing, making apple butter or sauce. And with the trees we have planted getting close to starting to produce, we know we need to figure out something better. We have found a new model peeler, but have already broken one, got a second one but don't think it will last too long either. These older peelers are not to readily available, but can be found in decent condition occasionally in antique stores. That is one product I am on the lookout for.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    BP, i have a buddy that does the "picker thing". i will have him keep an eye out. thanks for the link... looks neat.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

Thanks Bro. My only qualms with that is these peelers are all metal and aren't very light. I bet shipping cost could be close to what the peeler is.

Have you tried Lehman's? I've been impressed with the quality of everything I've bought from them.

Not recently, certianly not for a peeler.

They have one that is basically a reincarnation of the old Reading 78 that they make in their shop. It's a bit pricey ($189) but looks like it should last for a long time.
    https://www.lehmans.com/p-13-lehmans...le-peeler.aspx
    They also have some smaller ones at a much lower price, maybe could get a few of them??

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Thanks Bro. My only qualms with that is these peelers are all metal and aren't very light. I bet shipping cost could be close to what the peeler is.
    Hey son ; I only live about 40 minutes away from Lehman's. It's a huge place. Check them out online and if I can help you out let me know.

DA, thanks for the link. Lehmans never crossed my mind for that item. I will check that link out later tonight.

Eagle I will keep you posted. Besides that might end up being a good excuse for a side trip next time we get up north.

Here is an item I am considering making as part of my Blacksmith Forge once I get that put together. This is one alternative and a non powered version to boot. This takes more work to use than my other option, a hand crank model would be, but the bellows style has been around for many, many years. I went to a re-enactment this spring and observed a blacksmith using a forge he had made including a large bellows. It worked great and was very useable. Here is the link.

http://www.manaraefan.co.uk/index_files/Page408.htm

One of my favorite wood working tools is a drawknife. Very useful for thinning wood to fit for a certain joint. For example I used my knife for cutting my rafters to fit correctly on my chicken coop. One of my knives was my grandpa's and of course it is my favorite. Here is a video I found on using a drawknife.

Here is a different model that I don't have yet, but would be very good to carry in the vehicle for use as needed.

http://www.shop.roseantiquetools.net...knife-405a.htm