Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tools, Jigs, & useful things

I'll most likely shit myself

I was searching for some tools during lunch and found a cool site. They carry a wide range of stuff from wood working tools to timber framing gear to blacksmithing to medical. Most all of it looks to be old. But in fair to good condition. Some maybe better than that. Located in Cinncinati for our ohio crew.

http://www.jimbodetools.com

Checkout www.leevalley.com out of Canada. A lot of really near stuff. You'll find a lot of things they carry are made south of their border.

For the Love of Cats

x1000 on Lee Valley. admittedly pricey, but seriously nothing but TOP quality stuff.

That is my drool store!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I love Lee Valley. Great products and they are proud of them.

My dad lives in Ottawa, he took me to lee valley last time we went up there. Walked around fondling stuff for 2-3 hours. Amazing place.

I had been on the lookout for hi-quality garden tools then a couple years ago I found these hoes. I got the 55F model.

http://www.prohoe.com/field_hoes.html

And a 575G model.

http://www.prohoe.com/garden_hoes.html

The 55F is great for laying out rows and heavy cultivating. The 575G is perfect for weeding chores. These are hands down the best I have ever used. Both of mine I ordered with Hickory handles, but you can get them in fiberglass as well. The blades are all made from Disc blades. They are hard as woodpeckers lips and hold a great edge. I really can't say enough for them and looking at the prices, they have came down some. I may pick up another model or two in the future.

This doesn't fall exactly into the tool or jig thing but it is a useful thing. It is an all in one steamer/juicer/cooker. I have not invested in one yet. My aunt and uncle have one that they use to make juice for wine making.

With peeled and cored pears or apples, after cooking down the juice you end up with an awesome pulp that makes great apple or pear butter. Juice is already separated out so there is no straining. Saves a lot of time and work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/280786961380?lpid=82
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

IMO that is absoluutly a tool. The way the wife makes butters and jellies, we may look into one of those.

They sure save a lot of work. I have helped making juice for wine. The thing I found most impressive is that there is no sediment in the juice when you are done. Sit the juice on a shelf come back a week later and there will not be anything settled in the bottom of the jar. You get pure juice.

I will be investing in one as well before next canning season.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

We enjoy watching the show "Life Below zero" based on several families that live in Alaska. There is a new guy on the show this season. He lives alone and does most all his work manually. The last episode we watched he was cutting his firewood, all done with an ax. He commented that he had cut all the standing dead timber within 400 yards of his shack and was going out further to get more.
    All that to get to this, while cutting up a tree into smaller logs he could carry back, he broke his ax handle. This brought up the thought, how many folks have spare handles for their tools, hoes, ax's, shovels, hammers, etc.? Further, how many folks have replaced handles in any of their tools?
    Again, being a tool whore, I really appreciate high quality tools. I've been looking at different model and brands of ax's recently. What brands do you all favor? Of course you need different sizes for different jobs. What are your favorite models?