Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tools, Jigs, & useful things

I'll most likely shit myself

As I have discussed before, I want to set up a blacksmith shop to be able to do repairs and make various objects and tools. On that thought I have been looking for something manually operated to use as a blower to force air into the forge to bring the heat up. Recently I have been looking on flea bay and tracking some units. This week I found 4 or 5 units I liked pretty well, so i started bidding. I lost four bids in a row, the last one that had been taken apart cleaned and painted (very nice one). Through this though my favorite was the last one, looks to be in good shape, everything works, and it had a stand with it. Needless to say I was drooling over that one. I won the bid on it. Here is the flea bay page. One more thing to work on this winter.

www.ebay.com/itm/LANCASTER-40-BLACKSMITH-COAL-FORGE-BLOWER-CAST-IRON-TOOL-STAND-ANTIQUE-VTG-/331063507258?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=i01wX3gSdW52y8kspBIHCme nOFY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
    Last edited by bacpacker; 11-23-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Try and fix link to web site

CC Gray Panther
    Your post comes up blank B.P. Was hoping to see it after our chat today.

Eagle, try the link again. Hope I got it fixed that time. If not, I will get some pics up once it arrives.

CC Gray Panther
    Link worked. Sweet deal son ; Hope you get her up and running soon.

I still have some things to figure out with the forge, but this was one of the big parts I was searching for. Hopefully it will fit the plan as I hope it does.

For most of your hand tools you need a good tool chest to store/protect them in.

This video by Roy Underhill, who is my favorite TV craftsman by far, is a good example of a good portable storage chest both for storage locally or to take to job sites. IIRC, all his work is done manually and he is truly a Craftsman. Eagle, I do believe you will enjoy this after our discussion Friday.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2265289533/

I just found this video. It's pretty funny to watch, but i have to say he does damn good work in the end. I love all the manual tools in his shop. You can find the manual drill presses some times, but I have yet to find a treadle lathe anywhere.

Oh well more tools to try and find.

CC Gray Panther
    Oh Hell Yea B.P. Haven't seen that show in years. Going to see if I still get it up here. I believe the station WVIZ carries it. I now have moulding plane envy.
    Thanks for that video it gives me another learning channel.

Ain't no whore like a tool whore.

Glad I could help Eagle. Roy's show is on the local PBS channel here on Saturdays. Just dawned on me. I should set the DVR and catch his shows.
    I thought you would enjoy the planes that guy had after our talk the other day. Although his are all new. Still basically the same as the old style was.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Glad I could help Eagle. Roy's show is on the local PBS channel here on Saturdays. Just dawned on me. I should set the DVR and catch his shows.
    I thought you would enjoy the planes that guy had after our talk the other day. Although his are all new. Still basically the same as the old style was.

I need to get the 4 I found in the top floor of the garage cleaned up after I get the rest of the mess cleaned up. I want to play with them when I get time and see how they handle and work. Should be fun.