Thread: One Second After

Where's the epi?

One Second After

I don't see anything in here yet so I hope I'm not messing anything up or got the wrong idea of the post but here goes.

My favorite fiction prepper/survivalist book has to be One Second After. Many of you may have already read it but for those of you who have not, it's about a small town and how it reacts after an EMP hits and how their society must come to grips living without power, cars, industrial food and medicine. We take so much for granted and don't realize how much of our lives are dependent upon a flip of the switch, the transport of food across the highways and the life saving medications like antibiotics and insulin or the refrigeration that is needed to keep that insulin viable.

Families must decide how far they are willing to go to survive. Will they band together and be strong? Will they fight with their neighbor over a scrap of food? Are they willing to kill to keep their town safe from disease?

I don't want to say much about the plot or details because it's an awesome book...you really have to read it.

My next book would have to be Alas, Babylon. Partly because it's set in central Fl and I actually know some of the places in the book even though I'm sure the author tried to change some things around. Pretty cool. It's set back in the 50 or 60's I believe and the U.S was hit by a nuclear bomb. This small town was unaffected though and had to survive cut off from the rest of the country....that's all I'm gonna tell you about it. Another great read!
    I apologize for nothing...

In his experience the hammer head is better

I second, one second after. It was one of my favorite books I've ever read. I highly recommend this one
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

I'll most likely shit myself

Me to. Its number one on my prep related fiction. Very realistic IMO.

Where's the epi?

That's what I thought too. It really put things into perspective and opens your eyes. We have purchased this book for several people as gifts and once ya start it you can't put it down.
    I apologize for nothing...

I have 2 copies of One Second After, and loan them out on a regular basis. It's one of the most effective ways I have found to get people thinking. One friend, who "wants to be a prepper", said she could not finish it because it was just too sad.

As for your second mention, Alas, Babylon: YES
    As a central Fl native, it was very inspring when I first read it back in the '70's, and still is today. It's the book that started me off as a prepper before there was sucha term.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    OSA was one of my favs too! Along with Lights Out, and 1 or 2 others.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

OSA is a fantastic read. I recommend it to everyone. There are some startling realizations in the book for those just beginning prepping or are just being introduced.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

This book also gives some realistic real world views at medical issues.

Bacon saver

I have to "Echo" everyone above. The most realist written book I've read do date. Real life tough decisions, scenarios and tells it like it is. No other way to put it. I bought it for me mum for Christmas, took her a year and a half to finally read it. On a cruise in northern Europe of all places at the time our "elected official" was going to have his missile strike on Syria.............she read it in 2 days. Met another couple from England who wanted to borrow it, they both read in in 3. Made wonderful conversation for the rest of their "deployment". But mum has upped her stock even more since then.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I agree that its a great read. There is also a PDF you can download for free. (a buddy of mine found it and ripped it to a thumb drive for me.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.