Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit Trees

I'll most likely shit myself

Fruit Trees

Belew's post about planting apple trees got me interested in the varitey of tree he mentioned. I have yet to find a vendor on-line that sells them. But I did find this site:

http://www.treesofantiquity.com/

They have about any kind of fruit you can think of. And from the looks of it most all are heirloom types. What I have looked at are not real cheap, but they have some stuff I have heard of in years past from my Stepdad and grandparents. Think I may have to place an order pretty soon.

What kind of trees, bushes, or vines do you all have out? What are your favorite varieties? Do you have any that have trouble with pest or diseases?

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I want to plant a lot more, but now all I have are peaches, figs, banana persimmon, and plums. Want to plant some apple, and oranges bad.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

We have several type of apples, 3 pears, 3 cherries (which came in within 3 years of planting. Nectarine, paw paws, pecans, blueberries, grapes, & figs. Got a lot more to get going.

We have a plumb tree that looses all its fruit. I had a soil test done this year to see what's missing. I keep finding persimmon trees in the edge of the woods. Also found some pecan and walnut trees in the woods. My problem is all the poison Ivey and ticks. I only go in the woods during the winter.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I've got Methley plums, Harvester peaches, Celeste Figs, and Wonderful pomegranate. The peaches figs and plums were chosen because they do not require pollination from another plant to produce. As much as I'd like to have pairs, there isn't a great deal of space on my .28 acre yard. The fig produced this year, and we just planted it 2 months ago. Hopefully since the peach and plum are large (8 ft) they'll produce next year too.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I have two old peach trees that the fruit pretty much rots on the tree just before they ripen every year. I never have figured that out. I also have two or three large old walnuts on the back of the property that produces heavy most every year.

Just 2 or 3 mice or squirrels will do the job....don't ask

BP, does the soil around your peach trees stay pretty damp for a lot of the year?
    If so, then the problem could be a fungus that affects peach, nectarines and apricots.
    Once the blossoms have set and the fruit starts growing spraying an agricultural lime mixture once every couple of weeks should help with that problem.

Daca it does stay pretty damp in winter and spring. Is the lime solution sprayed on the trees? I assume thats what you intended. I have only used lime on the soil as an ammedment. I will give that a try.

Fruit Trees

We have 3 pear trees (not sure which kind) small cooking pears. 5 peach trees (again not sure what kind they have been growing on our place for years and try to take over with seedlings) 3 plum trees several boysenberry plants and a few domesticated muscadine and blackberry plants. Oh and a couple of wild cherry trees that make awesome cherry cobblers.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Just 2 or 3 mice or squirrels will do the job....don't ask

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Daca it does stay pretty damp in winter and spring. Is the lime solution sprayed on the trees? I assume thats what you intended. I have only used lime on the soil as an ammedment. I will give that a try.
    Yes, the spray is applied from the ground all the way to the top and on the leaves as well.

The soil at my current house is great for lawn grass, but about 6 inches down it changes to a grey clay that is like modeling clay when it is wet and like cement when it dries out, which isn't very often.

As the fruit matured it had mold start growing on the outside of the fruit and started to shrink. It looked like the fruit that had spoiled on the counter from being too old.

The local feed store will probably have some of the spray solution. Here it is reasonably inexpensive.