Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hate ice

I'll most likely shit myself

Wow guys. That is a bunch of ice. Glad everyone is doing good so far. We probably have several more Ants in the bullseye. Hope everyone is ready.

We are south of the ice line, but have had 2+ inches of rain so far and it's pouring right now. More rain expected over the next 3 days of somewhere between 2-4" to go. They are calling for flooding in some areas. We are good where we are, but low lying areas will get hit hard.

Tree in the front yard of the original homestead house on our property.

The tree in my front yard. One of 3 old growth trees left on our place.

I will get some more pics of the damage once I have power again and can upload them from the wireless. Cell service is still spotty at best here.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    No pics but we got hit good in southern Indiana. Not near as bad as past years (never lost power).

Learned a few things with snow at the new house.

1. Dont put off getting tires when the only way out of your neighborhood is up hills.

2. Tires are irrelevant when there is 2 inches of ice on the hill.

3. Befriend the owner of the local NAPA that is 2 blocks away at the top of the hill and park there.

4. Park at NAPA and walk home as opposed to battling the hill again later (people seriously cant figure this out). Or in my case from here on out, I'll move cars there prior to the storm.

Other than that, my winter car kit was perfect for this storm.

sending good thoughts your way, be safe

For the Love of Cats

DM, you may want to invest in a set of chains, in case you don't see one coming and get stuck at the bottom of your hill. Tires may be irrelevant on ice, but chains rule!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Update: Sat 4pm...

Just mounted a ProCom 10K BTU blue flame heater, taking down the Portable Buddy.

The Buddy heater (Mr. Heater) has been a trusted source of heat for a few years now, but its starting to act up and.. it is either ON or OFF, sometimes you have to open the door because it gets too hot...

The ProCom heater has a thermostat, its running as I type and Im delighted to see it cycle on and off, this means a consistent temp AND save fuel too!

Got the heater and regulator at Northern and the fittings and gas line at Home Depot (Ill post a detailed thread on it later).

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5466_200395466

I found the ceramic heaters to put off an "odd smell" so I went with the blue flame. Now I can rest easy, seriously.

Oh, and I do keep a window cracked at least 1/8" when it runs, and the house aint air tight either... plus mox monitor for safety... Never had any problems in the past but can never be too safe!

If I ever get the opportunity, I can plumb it into the NG line and not have to worry about propane tanks in the future.

Im also wanting to get a NG adapter for the generator from US Carb some time too....

If and when I move, I hope to have a "big" propane tank and run it all off LPG.

Drifting off into propane fridges, its on my want list, but expensive so not now or any time soon!

https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

That is all for now.

Im pretty sure it's gonna hit us, Ill have vid when its over.

EB
    Last edited by ElevenBravo; 12-08-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Walking on Sunshine

Keep safe everyone

Earlier this week I was trying to get my old generator to run and it just wouldn't do it. So, I told the wife I was going to get a new one. She scoffed at me a little and told me we really didn't need it. Now I don't hear a bit of complaint on the 4th day of using it to run the pellet stove, tv, coffee pot, charging cell phones, getting the internet up, and lights.

I'll most likely shit myself

Amazing how that works out. What brand/model did you go with? Thoughs on it to this point?

5000 watt (6250 peak) Briggs and Stratton. We have put about 20 hours on it so far. Has a 5 gallon fuel cell on it. Rated to run for 10 hours on a tank of fuel at half load on it. So far it is performing as advertised.

Only advice I can really give on generators is to buy a name brand. The off brands might be cheaper but they are cheaper for a reason. Replacement parts are difficult to find at best. You really do get what you pay for. My other generator was an off brand bought from ace hardware (7000 watt). It worked well for a couple of years but needs a carburetor now and I can't find one for it.