Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basement Aquaponics

I have still yet to grow a brain

Basement Aquaponics

My system is beginning to bloom. Cherry Tomatoes, Green Bell Peppers, Chile Pepper (Thai Hot) and Green Peas.
    Chives, Oregano, Basil, Lemon Balm and Cilantro are ready to go.

Beefsteak and San Marzano are still filling out. Aloe Vera is not really taking root working on the 2nd attempt now.
    Broccoli and Jalpenos, is still growing.

All but the herbs were started from seed mid October this year.

The plan is simple. Grow this year round and set up another grow bed. The second grow bed will start the plants for the grow bed and the vertical pallets that are out in the backyard next to the ponds. (I live on a small plot of land 40'x80')

I get the upper hand on the short growing season by starting the plants a few months ahead indoors. Then clippings are taken of the plants that I wish to continue to grow during the winter and bring those in.

Plan for 2014 is the completion of the large outdoor 12'x10'x5' pond. I will start the Channel Catfish indoors with the Tillapia this year. Then 2015 they will go into the large pond.

While this is occurring I will be pursuing vertical aquaponics outdoors. 4 foot 6" PVC tubes with holes cut for the plants to grow out of. Resulting in 28 plants in a 2 foot area. If this works I can set up 40 of these towers and that will place a big dent in the need for purchased food.

Do more with less.

Administrator

With this system, have you noticed a substantial increase in your electric bill?
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Nice plan vodin, it is very similar to what I have been planning for this spring but I dont have any fish plans yet so Ill be using ferts if I go hydro. I cant wait to see your plans.

We have a conventional garden space that didnt do so well the last 2 years so hopefully the compost we are now making will boost production some. As well, Ive never done a hydo pipe setup outdoors. Any feedback about differences doing this indoors or outdoors?

The vertical setup sure helps to maximizes the yield/space ratio.

What type pots will you be using? Ive seen people using the black netpots or costco red beercups with the bottom cut out and rockwool or hydroton balls? Are there other types of good mediums?

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Cool, show some pix and give more details please!

As was asked, how about the electric bill? Maybe the tac team will storm your house looking for.... pot. Offer them a nice tomato sandwich if they come! :-)

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Here are the latest pics.

This is 1 of 5 Bell Pepper plants. I believe these are buds.

[IMG][/IMG]

The next plant 1 of 5 is Thai Hot Chile Pepper.

[IMG][/IMG]

Luckily I got some training from the Paparazzi photo team. We will be having some youngsters running around...

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a shot of the Green Beans 1 of 2, 1 of 1 Broccoli, 2 Iceberg Lettuce sprouts, 1 of 5 Kale, and San Marzazano tomato 1 of 5 and trying to propagate Aloe Vera.

[IMG][/IMG]

More info in next post.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Cool, show some pix and give more details please!

As was asked, how about the electric bill? Maybe the tac team will storm your house looking for.... pot. Offer them a nice tomato sandwich if they come! :-)

EB

Electric Bill consists of

3 CFL lights and it will come out to an extra $75 a year. That is ~.21 a day for the lights 12 hours a day every day of the year.
    3 300 watt subermsible heaters, 1 Air Pump and 1 120 GPH Water pump. I have been testing it out with a Kilawatt meter. I have had a few heaters day or create stray voltage in the water. So I have not measured it a true year but my calculations place the cost at $1.30 a day or $475 a year.

The grand total is ~ $550 a year or $1.51 a day.

Here is the break down you pay
    $10-14$ 1lb Tilapia

If I eat 35lbs of Tilapia it will have paid for the cost. The plants I am growing are as follows
    Green Beans
    Ice Berg Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Kale
    Broccoli
    3 different Jalapenos
    Onions

Herbs
    Chives
    Lemon Balm
    Oregano
    Cilantro
    Aloe Vera (if I can get it to propagate)

I eat the herbs now. I wait for the Tilapia and the Vegetables. The vegies are indeterminate meaning there is a constant supply with no real termination date. This will also get me set up on starter plants for the spring. I wont need to buy pre grown plants.

All this and I go down stairs and have a 'Zen' moment as my wife puts it. I go feed the fish and take dead leaves off of the plants. There is no weeding with Aquaponics.

Here is a shot of the Green Beans 1 of 2, 1 of 1 Broccoli, 2 Iceberg Lettuce sprouts, 1 of 5 Kale, and San Marzazano tomato 1 of 5 and trying to propagate Aloe Vera.
    More like propagating ladybugs lol

I bought an herb plant from a garden center. I didn't see the aphid infestation. So I bought 1500 ladybugs but messed up the release. So bought another 1000 and did it proper. If the tilapia didn't eat em the spiders in the basement got the ones that aren't in the grow bed. The ladybug mating signifies they are happy with the food and environment. And most of the aphids are gone so they did their job.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post

All this and I go down stairs and have a 'Zen' moment as my wife puts it. I go feed the fish and take dead leaves off of the plants. There is no weeding with Aquaponics.
    I hear you, I love spending time messing with my aquaponics.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Oh man, you two are making me get aquaponic visions in my head. I am dreaming of an indoor windowsill tube system. Our sunroom has 15' of south west facing exposure. Got about 4 houses and a highrise 2 blocks away that can see right into our kitchen when it gets dark and the blinds open. Some privacy would be nice and some fresh herbs and veggies would be awesome.

If I had one 5" diameter pipe running along the windowsill run of 15 feet what type of fish tank size would be ideal? As well, what about number of plants/spacing, I would like grow some greenleaf lettuce, green onions, basil, cilantro.

I hope this is on topic because I am not meaning to hijack, please move or delete if this post is inappropriate.